Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Sub frames and cage with no motor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 09:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Sub frames and cage with no motor?

Long story short, my car has been down for a long time now, and it's going to be a bit before I get her back on the street. At this time, I have gears, 6 point cage, and subframes that can be installed, but, there is no motor in the car. I'd like to get these things done while the car is out of commision, but I always assumed that suspension parts like this needed to be installed with the car loaded as it would be rollin down the street. Any thoughts or ideas on wether I should or shouldn't go on with it?
Old 03-09-2006, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say for the roll cage, it could be, but the chassis really won't flex that much when you install all of it's contents back in it. With how easy it is to install with everything else installed, you could wait to have the suspension loaded as if it were operated before installing the SFC's, but again, it's not that critical on 4th gens to do that.

Boiled down, unless the car has been on a frame straightening machine, it's not as fragile as urban legends would have.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was thinking the same. The motor will lower the car in the front, but isn't really going to flex it one way or another. I'd really like to get it done before my motor gets here so it'll be one less thing I have to wait on.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BTW, forgot to mention and I think you already know what to do. I would do all of the install on the chassis in it's "rolling chassis" stage. Again just posted that to cover my ***.