Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What pinion angle?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 05:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default What pinion angle?

With a Strange 12-bolt, LCA's (bolted at the maximum setting), FLP 4L65E level 5 w/ 3600 stall, PCT 3.5" D/S, and street tires, what pinion angle will work best for normal street usage? I need traction but it's my daily driver, so, I can't run MT ET street drag radials without ice skating at 30 mph when the tread starts wearing down. I'd like to go more than a -2*, but, if I go a steeper angle, then, what effect will it have on the 12-bolt internals and other driveline components?
Old 03-14-2006, 05:32 AM
11 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Try to stay as close to factory settings as possible on the street.If you go lower then -2 then you will start getting alot of drivetrain vibrations. If you want more traction at the track then change it there,it doesnt take but a couple minutes to do.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:30 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It kind of depends on how stiff your torque arm is. The negative pinion angle is a compromise for flexible components. When power is applied, the pinion angle climbs. I believe the goal is a zero pinion angle under power.
If you've got a strong torque arm with a urethane mount then you might be able to run less pinion angle. Your LCAs could impact this. With the relocation brackets you will gain antisquat and this might cause the rear to lift under load. That might change your pinion angle itself.

If you have no wheel hop, then there is no concern for your 12 bolt. It's just that a bad pinion angle can often cause wheel hop. Beyond that, a bad pinion angle can cause an annoying vibration at cruise.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks guys. The torque arm is getting installed with the 12-bolt tomorrow. It's a BMR tubular adjustable ... supposed to be super-strength. I forget the correct term.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

-1.5....Thats what i've got my Spohn chassis-mounted arm' set at..Feels pretty good..