Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brake kit options

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 12:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brake kit options

Im getting bigger brakes on my car real soon now that im getting my heads and cam on monday. My LT1 brakes are crap so im looking for an upgrade. Im not an auto x or rr guy so the brakes arent going to be getting beat up that hard. The cars a daily driver and I need some brakes that have real good stoping power. Should i get a willwood, ssbc, or baer type break kit or should i go for a c5 kit? How many pistons in the caliper should i go with? Any suggestions will be appreciated since they're so many options and different options out there and i dont want to rip myself off.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:19 AM
On The Tree

I'm in a similar situation. I've heard you can use LS1 brakes but I'm unsure of all the parts that are necessary. Spindles, lines, rotors, calipers, What do we needs? Is there anyone that makes a complete kit that includes everything?
Old 03-29-2006, 06:07 PM
12 Second Club

ttt...
Old 03-29-2006, 07:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by tekprodave
I'm in a similar situation. I've heard you can use LS1 brakes but I'm unsure of all the parts that are necessary. Spindles, lines, rotors, calipers, What do we needs? Is there anyone that makes a complete kit that includes everything?
Im wondering the same. i need new rear calipers would it be better to get ls1 calipers and do they just bolt up and do they use the same rotors?
Old 03-30-2006, 11:49 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Racafella13
Im wondering the same. i need new rear calipers would it be better to get ls1 calipers and do they just bolt up and do they use the same rotors?
I've heard the rears are funtionally the same so there is no advantage to upgrade the rears to LS1 components.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tekprodave
I've heard the rears are funtionally the same so there is no advantage to upgrade the rears to LS1 components.
The LS1 rears are larger than the LT1 rears. It is an upgrade (if it's needed or not is another discussion, but it is an upgrade). The caliper, rotor, backing plate, brake shoes (for the LS1 parking brake) and brake cables (and hoses) are needed. If you do some searching there are a few writeups on making the rear swap out on the web.