Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni SA/DA and Install question

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Koni SA/DA and Install question

Okay, I wanna know if the ~$800 Konis come with springs or not. I assume that they do not, but I've never bought suspension components before and want to make sure. Since I assume they do not, would they work in well with the Bilstein springs I already have or if I should 'spring' to get them tailored with the shocks. If you were me and essentially just wanted to take some twisty roads and sweeping turns out in the country on the weekends, would you even opt for double adjustable?

The second thing I want to know is the difficulty of installing these myself. I have seen some installs of similar components on Spike, and I guess that you need to have a special tool to compress the springs to allow you to put them in place? They mentioned it can be very dangerous to do so this is something I am unsure about attempting.

Third is, let's say installing them was as easy as tying my shoelaces, is it safe to drive slowly and carefully say 10 miles to get an alignment done?
Old 04-11-2006, 12:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokeySS
Okay, I wanna know if the ~$800 Konis come with springs or not. I assume that they do not, but I've never bought suspension components before and want to make sure. Since I assume they do not, would they work in well with the Bilstein springs I already have or if I should 'spring' to get them tailored with the shocks. If you were me and essentially just wanted to take some twisty roads and sweeping turns out in the country on the weekends, would you even opt for double adjustable?

The second thing I want to know is the difficulty of installing these myself. I have seen some installs of similar components on Spike, and I guess that you need to have a special tool to compress the springs to allow you to put them in place? They mentioned it can be very dangerous to do so this is something I am unsure about attempting.

Third is, let's say installing them was as easy as tying my shoelaces, is it safe to drive slowly and carefully say 10 miles to get an alignment done?
For street purposes, really, DA's are serious overkill. If you aren't planning on going major roadracing to different courses, , and if you are not planning on any future plans to dive into autocross, then the Koni SA's would be MORE than what you need. You can even go for revalved Bilstein's from Sam Strano as well...

Personally I would suggest giving Sam Strano a call, he has his own website, here's the URL:

http://www.stranoparts.com/index.php

Ask him some questions, he won't steer you wrong. He will even tell you that the Koni DA's are not recommended for street use.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I am definately familiar with Sam but I thought I'd ask some stuff here first because I don't like taking up other people's time, in other words, calling him to chat. When I am ready to order I'll talk about it, then ask what other things would compliment it well like sway bars and which springs would be best.

I'm a little more interested to see what is involved with swapping them out myself.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:12 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Koni's do not come with springs. They can be used with the springs you have, and frankly would be a better shock for the springs you have. That said, I'm not a fan of the springs you have in most instances because of the rates involved and the way they are wound. Which, could be an issue. I can't for the life of me remember right now if the dead or close coils on those front springs are up on the top of the spring or not. If they are, that means you cannot adjust the rebound damping on front Koni's. So while you can use those springs, etc, it's another reason not to.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 04-11-2006, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

So which springs would mate best with Koni SAs? Hopefully they're not too much $. And swapping springs would surely put my car in a garage with professionals
Old 04-11-2006, 12:10 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

What drink do you like with you burgers? You can use a lot of different springs, which depends on the use, the cost, the height, the handling involved and so on. Basically I can't tell you what spring is best because there is no one spring that is just "best". It varies. I have springs I think are better for this use or that, but those are things to be discussed in person.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 04-11-2006, 05:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In other words Smokey, give Sam a call

Quick Reply: Koni SA/DA and Install question