Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Problem with Kumho v710

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 02:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Problem with Kumho v710

I run 17x11 rims with 315 kumho 710's on all 4 corrners. They stick great, but I just had a problem last weekend at an evolution driving school. I had one tire blister and peel off the tread. The tires had 15-20 runs on them before the school and got about 15 more that day. the temps were in the low low 40's. all the other tires and the rest of that tire look fine with a ton of rubber left. what went wrong, was the tire defective? Can I go back to kumho on this?
I have pics but don't know how to post them here
any help would be great
Bill
Attached Thumbnails Problem with Kumho v710-kumho1.jpg   Problem with Kumho v710-kumho2.jpg   Problem with Kumho v710-kumho3.jpg  
Old 04-12-2006, 04:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I spoke to kumho, and they were less than helpfull. they sent me to a dealer to have the tires inspected, which i did. And the the dealer measured the tread and came up with 2-3 /32 depth, more than 1/2 of the life left. Then when the dealer called them and said it looks like defective tire with the delamination, not worn to cord, they coped out with the line "All comp tires have no warranty as soon as they touch the ground". Thats a **** Poor response to a tire that a dealer agrees is defective.

I am now looking into what Hoosier can offer as Kumho's product might be fast, but the corp response sucks.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:00 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I could be wrong, but that looks like to me the wheels locked up. Do you have ABS disabled on the car? Was this on the outside edge or inside edge? Front or rear of the car? How much front camber to you have? I see the ambient temperature was low, but how about the temperature of the tire itself?
Old 04-12-2006, 07:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

they were in the rear, the abs was working, and the car got 15 runs that day, but the run it blistered on was the 1st after over 1 hr rest. no spins or lock ups. the peel is on the outside, but not all the way on the edge.
The car had about 3deg neg camber on the front and they looked fine.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just heard back from tirerack, They are replacing the tire, They looked at the dig pics I sent them and agreed it is a moulding flaw and are replacing it. I had allready ordered a single tire from them to replace it, they asked why only 1 tire. So I told them my story, and they opened a claim, and asked me to send them pics. They called this morning and issued a return and are even paying for the shipping to return the tire.

Great cust service from tirerack, even if they had said no. Kumho had me running all over town to dealers for inspections, only to say no when the dealer said it was defective
Old 04-14-2006, 11:59 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tirerack is great!!
Old 04-15-2006, 05:02 AM
Teching In

wow, guess i'll be buying from tirerack. Kudos to them for replacing it!
Old 04-10-2007, 04:23 PM
Launching!

Default what was tirerack reps name?

Dear God!! Tire rack rocks woohoo! i am def buying there. i was on the fence with discount tire but heck with them!

do you remember the person you spoke to at tire rack? i want to buy from that guy!

let me know!
Old 04-13-2007, 01:55 PM
Teching In

I seem to have the same problem...

I have a set of four 315-35-17 V710's that were run for one track day last season, and I just checked them today, getting ready for Watkins Glen in a week. When I pulled the tires out of the bags today, I noticed three of the four tires seem to be delaminating on the tread splice (and the fourth seems OK, I found a small nick, but nothing across the entire tread like the other three), and I'm concerned about running them at high speed. If this is normal and safe, I've got no problem running them, just that my last 2 sets of Victoracers have never done that. I left a voicemail & email with Rudy, the Kumho motorsports guy. Their warranty dept said as soon as the tires hit the pavement, no warranty, but this looks like a manufacturing defect, not a user error (no flat spots, or anything else like that). The treadwear looks completely normal, otherwise.

Andris/Z28tt
Attached Thumbnails Problem with Kumho v710-kumho1.jpg   Problem with Kumho v710-kumho2.jpg   Problem with Kumho v710-kumho3.jpg  
Old 04-13-2007, 02:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by askulte
I seem to have the same problem...

I have a set of four 315-35-17 V710's that were run for one track day last season, and I just checked them today, getting ready for Watkins Glen in a week. When I pulled the tires out of the bags today, I noticed three of the four tires seem to be delaminating on the tread splice (and the fourth seems OK, I found a small nick, but nothing across the entire tread like the other three), and I'm concerned about running them at high speed. If this is normal and safe, I've got no problem running them, just that my last 2 sets of Victoracers have never done that. I left a voicemail & email with Rudy, the Kumho motorsports guy. Their warranty dept said as soon as the tires hit the pavement, no warranty, but this looks like a manufacturing defect, not a user error (no flat spots, or anything else like that). The treadwear looks completely normal, otherwise.

Andris/Z28tt

when you say one track day...how much time were you actually on the track?
and how hot was the track?

long 45 minute runs will waste these things, they overheat

and did you store these in climate control room or left them outside to freeze and cook? that will cause that too. soft rubber bro!

i'm keeping mine in a climate controlled garage

try michelin sport cups next time
Old 04-13-2007, 04:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice ... tirerack rocks
Old 04-21-2007, 08:20 AM
Teching In

Thumbs up

I have to give credit to Kumho.

They sent two new tires to replace the worst ones, and suggested I keep an eye on the other two. I ordered two more new ones to match, so the Z28tt is on new rubber for Watkins Glen on Monday. My plan is to run the 710's the first session to heat cycle them, swap back to street tires for the rest of the day, and then back to the scrubbed in 710's for Tuesday. I'll keep an eye on temps - they suggested 180deg as optimal with a probe. I haven't run with this club before (COM SCC), but if it's like any other, it'll be 3 or four 20 minute sessions. The used 710's are still great for autox duty, and maybe I can find some beater rims. Between the rains, slicks, snow tires for the wagon and durango, all I need is another set of wheels. Wifey is gonna love that!

Andris
Old 04-21-2007, 08:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cool

Kumhos suck period.

Quick Reply: Problem with Kumho v710