Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Does chassis mounted TA negatively affect handling?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 09:24 PM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Does chassis mounted TA negatively affect handling?

I'm looking at getting this one.
http://www.umiperformance.com/2202.aspx

I'm wondering if this will have any negative effects on cornering and overall handling.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I have gathered, YES. I'm also going for handling and have spoken to Sam Strano, UMI, and BMR about torque arms and they all have said go full length for handling.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doesn't have a neg. affect on handling. But depending on your exhaust you might be able to get by with a 'straight' cross member. The greater the ground clearance the happier you'll be. Here's a Pacesetter header and Off-road 'Y' clearance. Depends on your exhaust system.

Hawk
Old 05-18-2006, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

A couple things to consider...

Length of torque arm: When you shorten the torque arm, you get less rear wheel hop on accel and more hop on brake. When you lengthen it, you get less hop on brake and more hop on accel. unless you go with one of those fangled de-coupled torque arms that gives you the best of both worlds. Since handling, for people who are in the handling business, also means braking, torque arm length is important for these guys. But for the rest of us who just like driving fast around corners.. torque arm length probably isnt that big of a deal in braking.. and we'll benefit more from the launch benefits.

Bushing: the method for attachment is also an issue for die-hards. If you look at the way the torque arm in the picture above works.. you've got those 2 poly bushings. They do play a small role in axle behavior.. influincing how it twists and such.. really though.. i doubt this is a big deal though. But thats why you see some that have a sperical bushing there instead.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:18 PM
TECH Resident

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by 227Hawk
......[/IMG]
Hawk
Showoff!!
Old 05-19-2006, 07:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

What about these new torque arm relocation brackets? Do they help with the wheel hop on accel for the long ones?
Old 05-19-2006, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by No Juice
What about these new torque arm relocation brackets? Do they help with the wheel hop on accel for the long ones?
I can't tell a difference from my own personal experience. I had 0 wheel hop with my full length aftermarket torque arm whether it was relocated or not. I did like the "feel" of it relocated (didnt bob the shifter around etc) but I didnt like the harshness of it.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I got a stock length one with the tube nose (not the stamped nose) because I needed to minimize wheel hop under braking. Not only did it virtually eliminate brake hop, but also increased my acceleration traction roughly 50% or so.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 00 Trans Ram
I got a stock length one with the tube nose (not the stamped nose) because I needed to minimize wheel hop under braking. Not only did it virtually eliminate brake hop, but also increased my acceleration traction roughly 50% or so.
Made by who?
Old 05-25-2006, 09:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

BMR - from Thunder Racing (they're a sponsor on here, right?). I live in New Orleans, and Thunder is right down the road. I looked at it having heard of questionable BMR quality. It's basically 2 bars and a bracket welded together. The welds were good, the bars thick. The only improvement I made was to stick a $.25 rubber plug into the from end of the tube - so that mud and muck didn't get inside and rust it.

Quick Reply: Does chassis mounted TA negatively affect handling?