Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Upper control arm

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 07:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LS1Tech 20 Year Member
Default Upper control arm

Anyone replaced their upper controls arms? If so, how difficult was it and did you need any special tools? I think my driver's side upper control arm is busted because I took a curb a while back and something "pops" when I turn the wheels hard at very low speed (i.e. pulling in and out of parking spaces). I'm trying to figure out if this is something to take on myself or let the pro's do it.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:05 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's fairly easy.
Support the car under the crossmember with a floor jack, or put the car on jackstands, supporting it by the subframes, put a jack under the lower a-arm,take off the wheel on that side, Unbolt the sway bar from the lower a-arm, unbolt the lower strut mount bolts. Let the jack lower the control arm all the way down. Now, unbolt the three upper strut mounting bolts -this is s slight pain in the butt, cause you probably will have to unbolt the brake master cyl. from the brake booster, and move it over out of the way to get to some of the bolts. They are Torx bolts, T-50 if I remember right.
Then the strut will come out. The upper control arm mounst between the top of the strut and the car body, so you can now take the upper a-arm out to replace it.
I might have left some out, but thats basically it

Quick Reply: Upper control arm