Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

hit curb, need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 04:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hit curb, need help

I am an ls1 noob, having only owned my 99 z28 for 8 months and only made minor modifications.

Last week I hit a curb going probably 35mph. Head on. Driver's side impact. All the damage I can see is that it blew out the front tire and dented the rim badly, and a chunk flew off the rear driver's side wheel as well.

I have the stock-option ground fx molding which was not damaged, but the driver's side wheels were badly hit. No body damage.

What I"m wondering, before I file a claim with insurance, is if there is suspension damage. Is there anything to look for/any tests to do to find out? The car is not driveable now until I get the wheels, but I need to know if I haev suspension damage or if anything else can get messed up by running over a curb. thanks a lot
Old 06-16-2006, 06:49 PM
Teching In

Default curb hit

I would say you certainly would have suspension and/or frame damage. Have the car put on a 4 wheel alignment machine to check for frame and suspension damage. Take some pictures of your old wheels on the car, buy a couple of used wheels to get the car to a body shop and have it checked out.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

a four wheel alignment rack will not show frame damage, only an out of spec alignment. look for bent tie rods, and lower a arm damage. look at the points where the arm is attatched to the subframe for stress or strain. its pssible that you also damaged your lower control arm bushings. in reality though, you need to let a trained professional check it out.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:31 PM
TECH Resident

Start with/Check for:
Shock/strut damage
Bad hub bearing/hub shaft needing replacement
Lower spindle attachment arm damage
Brake component damage
Sway bar component damage, end links, etc.
Check brake lines for pinching and the like
Check all bushings
Check all bolt attachment points on suspension and strut tower for damage and correct torque

Look at the area very very carefully and note all the detail such that your chances of overlooking damage is minimal, look for things out of place

Quick Reply: hit curb, need help