Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

flapping sound

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 10:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default flapping sound

2001 trans am...i hear a flapping sound from the passenger side, can only hear it when the window is down, no clue what it is, its not really a grinding or rattling, flaps faster when the cars going faster and slower when the cars going slow, almost sounds like theres a piece of string on a wheel and its flapping as it spins, checked both tires, pressure is around 35psi, no pieces of rubber that i noticed off of the tires and lugs are tight, no clue, what does a bad bearing sound like or any ideas what it could be?
Old 06-18-2006, 01:23 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Does it sound like it's coming from the front or rear? Is it like a tin or flimsy metal type sound? I just had a similar problem. It was my chrome peeling off the inside of my stock TA rim. (Rear passenger) It was a big giant flake that was hitting the brake caliper on every rotation. Reach inside and feel all the way around you rotor, make sure nothing might be hiding in there. Thing was a bitch to break off with the tire on, but I got it off. Too lazy to pull the tire off if I didn't have to. A bearing would probably not make a noise till about 25 MPH and faster. Kinda that "wobble" sound as you go faster. This damn flap of chrome was making noise rolling at 2 MPH. It did it in reverse too. Other than that, I'm stumped right along with ya. I hate to say "rear end", but that's what I thought mine was at first. Good luck.