Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Z06 Caliper Conversion problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 07:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Z06 Caliper Conversion problem

I helped a buddy (02 WS6) switch over his calipers and pads to C5 Z06 a little bit ago. I posted a thread about a small problem we ran into with the front pads not fitting...so we filed them to size. Everything went fine for a little while. Then we knowticed a rubbing noise from the rear. I thought the dust shield for the top of the caliper was hitting off the rotor. So I took it all apart and bent it so it sat flush against the caliper. Put it back together and it seemed fine again...then he calls me and tells me it was making noise again. So we rip it apart again and I took the dust sheilds out and left them out. Then I checked the shim and they had some side to side play in them...I figured maybe they were rubbing on the rotor. So I bent the tabs on them so they fit in there nice and tight...and they were not rubbing on the rotor at all. Put it all together and took it for a lap around the block and the noise was gone.....for about 1/2 a lap, then it started making the same rubbing noise. I am totally stumped on what can be rubbing. The only thing I can think of is to get new shims and throw them in. The Z06 pads came with new shims but they felt loose so I put in his old ones. So I told him to get f-body shims and we will see if they work. Any input would/will be appreciated
Old 06-29-2006, 10:31 AM
On The Tree

bump
Old 06-29-2006, 10:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For the front, you should use F-body pads, not C5 pads.

For the rear, start here:

http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/index.p...pic=4105&hl=c5
Old 06-29-2006, 02:47 PM
On The Tree

The front are fine...the rear they are talking about a spring??? I take it it is the thing I am calling the dust shield Clips on the top of the caliper)? If so I took it out and it still makes the noise. I guess I will take it apart again and trip the shims that fit into the bracket for the pads. Any other ideas???
Old 06-29-2006, 03:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You still have the wrong pads in the front......
Old 06-29-2006, 03:36 PM
On The Tree

Yes but they are not giving us any problems what so ever...for the rear i was going to trim the shims and "dust/vibration" shield so they cannot rub at all