Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Steering with a mind of it's own

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 05:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Steering with a mind of it's own

OK, I just had a swaybar and bushings installed up fron. All alignments are done and correct. However, I have a very scary problem in the steering.

When I brake hard (Not even really a panic stop) the wheels jerk to the right and the steering wheel **** about 45* to the left.

Once this happens, the car stops on a dime straight and true, BUT now the left front tire is riding on the outside edge, and it feels like it has a ton of toe, it squeals around every left hand corner.

After a couple of bumps the car swerves a little bit and the steering goes back to normal....

OY...I was wondering if the steering rack has gone bad, but everything was fine before I took it into the shop. The problem showed up afterwards. The shop has bent over backwards trying to fix this problem, free of charge and to the point of even giving me loaners.

They don't think it's the steering rack, and I can't imagine that it could just go bad all of a sudden.

But stranger things have happened.

So:
1) Could the steering rack go bad, just like that?
2) could a shock going bad cause that problem (When I push on the corners of the car, it doesn't float, there's no clunking either)
3) Could it be a component of the steering gear.

I really can't afford the 1180 (1600 including labor) for a new steering rack and pump, etc., so if it could be something simple, I would be eternally grateful...

Thanks
Old 07-03-2006, 01:35 AM
Launching!

brakes?
Old 07-03-2006, 08:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

may be a long shot, but a shop did work on my friends car, and the bolts that hold the rack to the subframe were not tightened down . check your tie rods too.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:17 AM
Launching!

Thanks, That's pretty much what everyone is thinking over on Corner-Carvers.com I got the steering to go bad today on the way to work. Came to a stop and turned the all the way to the lock.

I then came back to center and the steering was straight again.

It's going in for an oil change on Wednesday and I specifically asked that the bolts and mounting locations be checked out. Hopefully they wont be the stereotypical stealership and try to push a new rack on me...
Old 07-03-2006, 10:50 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Myself I wouldn't be driving around till it's fixed....

Quick Reply: Steering with a mind of it's own