Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

front shock swap...HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2002, 10:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front shock swap...HELP

Last time I changed out my springs I had the worst time putting the new spring back on the shock. I tried 2 different compressors from autozone but neither one would go between the shorter, more compressed spring. I finally had to get a shop to do it for me for not to cheap. Is there a special compressor that I need or is there a trick to puting it on. Please help! TIA!!
Old 07-01-2002, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: front shock swap...HELP

I used a standard coil spring compressor no problems. Not sure why you were having problems with the distance between the springs, even the ones from autozone will work fine. You want to make sure you use the coils that are farthest away and still get the compressor off when the spring is compressed.

Gary
Old 07-01-2002, 02:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the same problem, what I wound up doing with the strut compressor, is grinding the hoos down smaller, so they fit. Once the shock was assembled, I still had to beat the hook out of the spring with a rubber mallot.

I would think if you go a pair of standar coil sprinf compressors, with the bent steel hooks you would do better.
Old 07-01-2002, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by red ws6 99:
<strong>I used a standard coil spring compressor no problems. Not sure why you were having problems with the distance between the springs, even the ones from autozone will work fine. You want to make sure you use the coils that are farthest away and still get the compressor off when the spring is compressed.

Gary</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Gary, not sure which compressor you got from AutoZone but the ones we got were a piece of crap, after helping a friend install his we decided if we evey did this again we would just take the shocks to a shop and let them install the new ones for $20 (removed from car of course). Remember Dead guys can't work on cars .
Old 07-01-2002, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I actually did not use the autozone ones, I bought a set from mcmaster carr $29. They use worm gear and a quality piece. They appeared to be the same as the ones you borrow from autozone, but did not look that closely. I figure do it my self, also did k-member and a-arms at the same time.

Gary