Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 09:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise

O.K, I have now fully finished the change over on my Z28 from Drag to RR. My first HPDE is 6 days away and I am concerned with the performance of the car. Maybe, someone here can help my peace of mind. First off, I switched over from boxed BMR Poly LCA's to Spohn solid LCA's. I also changed the panhard rod from the ADJ BMR Poly to a Spohn solid Adj rod. ( I am running rear 3rd gen Koni's and Hotchkis springs.) The only part in the rear that was not changed over is the relocated Spohn TRQ arm. Again, all solid mount.( I had just bought it and my stock one was bent.) Now, the car seems to handle decent, though around bumpy turns the rear feels "loose" under accel. I have a Torsen T2R so it's not a traction issue per se. What gives? My friends WS6 with many stock parts feels way more planted than mine. The next issue is noise. I don't know whats wrong but there is terrible noise from the rear of the car (clunking, banging,sounds like its binding too) whenever I hit bumps. My shocks are tight, the ends are lubed with the spray Spohn sells for it's stuff and the bolts were tightened with the car level and on the ground. What could this be? Is this normal? BTW, I am talking about the TRQ arm. The front end, which has 4th gen Koni's, hotchkis springs, BMR tubular K member,U-L arms is dead quiet. By the way, my pinion angle is set to -1. Sway bars are BMR and they are tight. I expected this setup to be noisy, but not this noisy. And the fact that the rear dosent "feel" right tells me something is amiss. Could this TRQ arm be my issue? Should I go back to a trans mounted arm? Maybe, I worry to much.....any thoughts?

Last edited by alanr; 07-09-2006 at 10:17 PM.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

A trans mounted version might help, but I would be more worried about the K-member.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:05 PM
Teching In

I know, I know.....everyone has had bad luck with tubular K members on tracks... I am the stubborn kind. I am waiting on a RR K member to come about. If need be I will reinforce the one I have, I am not as much worried about weight at this time as I am about losing my access to the bottom of the engine. I have had this K member for about a year and a half, hard street driving in a very rough road area. I inspect the welds everytime I get under the car (often) and have had no issue's.