Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Shock and Spring upgrade 101....Come in...

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2002, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Shock and Spring upgrade 101....Come in...

OK Guys I have a '99 T/A M6 that I lowered with only springs (Eibach Pro) about two years (15K miles) ago. I am pretty sure that my stock shocks are now toast. So here are the 101 questions:

1. Should the shocks always be replaced with new lowering springs?

2. Should you always buy shocks that are valved for your specific springs?

3. By running these Prokit springs with stock shocks did I prematurely wear out my stock shocks? Do you think it has hurt the Eibach springs any?

I have now purchased a set of SLP Bilstein shocks to replace the stockers, so do I need to buy SLP Bilstein specific Eibachs or can I stick with my Eibach pro-kit? Will the pro-kit prematurely wear out the SLP Bilsteins also?

**Problems I am having with my current setup. Front is VERY low. rear squats VERY hard on shifts (enough to bang the hell out of the bumpstops that I have shaved 1" off of already). Honestly the car looks very nice at this height but I plan to add FLP LT's in the next month or so and I need about annother .5" of Ground clearance for reassurance.

Any comments or advice for where I should go from here? Am I going to be OK with Eibachs prokit and SLP bilsteins or do I need to Go with some SLP Eibachs now?

TIA,
-Nick
Old 08-29-2002, 05:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Shock and Spring upgrade 101....Come in...

TTT
Old 08-29-2002, 09:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly, I doubt you've "toasted" your shocks. It sounds as though you and I have suffered from the same "sag" that Eibachs are getting a reputation for.

I replaced my Eibach Pros with G2 Super Springs about a year ago. Everything is as it was since day one with the G2s.

I had my Eibachs about 18 months and 30K miles.

FYI, I installed the Bilstein HDs when I installed my Eibachs and now have the same shocks on with the G2 Supers.

Re-valving the shocks is a thing that racers do to get consistant and maximum shock performance
Old 08-29-2002, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

The car is definately about .5" lower now than it was. And the suspension is tooo soooft. My car only makes 305 RWHP and on the 2-3 shift the rear suspension bottoms out. I have G2 Adj PHB LCA's and Relo brackets.

What would you reccomend I do. I feel that G2's springs are going to be too low for my FLP LT's. How about Hypercoils that LGM sells? Maybe Try eibachs again but this time go with SLP's version?

Is it Very important for the Shocks to be Valved for your specific Spring???

TIA,
-Nick
Old 08-29-2002, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

TTT- I know there a buch of you with Eibach pro's and stock shocks...what do you think?
Old 08-29-2002, 05:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by niphilli:
<strong>
I feel that G2's springs are going to be too low for my FLP LT's. How about Hypercoils that LGM sells? Maybe Try eibachs again but this time go with SLP's version?

Is it Very important for the Shocks to be Valved for your specific Spring???

</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I have a close friend who is running Eibach Pros and FLPs and hasn't complained about clearance issues. Our cars stance is pretty close, too.

Re-valving is a thing that racers do to get maximum performance from their shocks. It's not a bad thing to do, but might be overkill for a street only car. JMHO
Old 08-31-2002, 07:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Mitch. Anyone else have experoence?
Old 08-31-2002, 08:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

ANd I just ordered a set of FLPs and I'm not gonna change my G2 springs ...
Old 09-01-2002, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suggest the HD Bilsteins for your springs, but the softer SLP Eibachs will work fine.

Ride height is not affected by shocks, springs support the weight, shocks resist sudden suspension movement or oscillation (aka dampers).
Old 09-03-2002, 06:02 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Hypercoils will drop the car 1.25" all the way around vs. the G2 springs with a 1.5" drop in the front and 1 5/8" drop in the rear. The Hypercoils won't be quite as stiff as the G2 springs, and they will give added ground clearance. The FLP's tuck up really nice under the car, so you would still have a nice amount of room under the car with the Hypercoils. The SLP Bilsteins should work just fine with the Hypercoils. We have the HD Bilsteins in stock if you'd like to give them a shot. As expected, they'll be a little more aggressive than the SLP units.

Feel free to e-mail or call me if you have any other questions.

Trevor - LGM
Old 09-03-2002, 07:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by mitchntx:
<strong>ANd I just ordered a set of FLPs and I'm not gonna change my G2 springs ...</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Mitch getting headers? Mitch doing engine mods?I am truly shocked!
Old 09-03-2002, 08:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by TexassTA:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by mitchntx:
<strong>ANd I just ordered a set of FLPs and I'm not gonna change my G2 springs ...</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Mitch getting headers? Mitch doing engine mods?I am truly shocked!</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hell just froze, Elvis is alive and Mitch is cracking open the motor ...

Any other myths we need to kill?