Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Chassis Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2002, 09:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Chassis Question

Has anyone broke or cracked there atttach points for the rear lower control arms? What can be done to prevent them for breaking? How does LCA and Panhards with spherical rod ends unable to be streetable? Because of too much shock to the chassis and cause the breakage at the attach points?
Old 11-26-2002, 02:55 PM
11 Second Club

Default Re: Chassis Question

TTT
Old 11-28-2002, 12:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have BMR "rod end" style control arms and panhard rod on my 2002 Z-28 and I drive it to work daily. I also ran a set of Herb Adams control arms and panhard rod with rod ends for 50,000 miles (or more) on my 1989 Formula Firebird and never had any trouble at all with them. The bad news is that they make noise (sometimes lots of noise), it is worse at low speeds (driving through town, etc) and is almost non exsistent on the highway). I don't mind the noise as a trade off for increased handling, but my fiancee is not so tolerant (she complains somtimes, but not much). I would suspect that you would be more likely to crack the control arm mounting points with the heavier "boxed" control arms with Poly bushings, the arms don't twist and the bushings don't flex (much) and that puts a nasty bind on the control arm mounts. If you were going to have a failure, I would suspect that would be a more likely cause (but I've never seen any crack). Hope this helps...
Old 11-28-2002, 02:29 AM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

I have LG LCAs and I've yet hear any kind of noise at all. The rod ends are very high quality. With cheaper rods you will get noise. In this case it is very worth it to get the good ones.
Old 12-02-2002, 09:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dom, I agree. My Herb Adams parts were much quieter than my BMR arms and I do believe that it is the quality of the rod ends that they are using (herb adams used much better rod ends as far as I can tell). I am planning to change mine out (but I'll wait until spring) and I'll know for sure.

Quick Reply: Chassis Question