Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Poly mounts

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 01:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poly mounts

I'm looking for a suspension poly set for my 02 ws6, I've found sets for non-ws6 trans ams but nothing for the ws6. Can anybody help me out?
Old 07-26-2006, 05:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

In all honesty, poly mount/bushing sets seem very attractive due to some slick marketing, however,

The parts you should replace with poly are only the swaybar endlinks, swaybar-to-body bushings, engine mounts, torque arm mounts, and possibly the transmission mount. AFA the PHB, LCA, front upper and lower A-arms, placing poly bushings there will seem like there is an improvement with the "stiffer feel", however be warned that that effect is really suspension bushing bind that only adds to the overall spring rate of the corner where the poly bushings are installed, thus can frustrate handling, even to the possibility of inducing snap oversteer. Not good when that happens.

For the PHB, LCA, front upper and lower A-arms areas, just look for Moog and/or TRW replacement rubber bushings. They can be pressed in as easily as the Poly bushings, don't require constant greasing, won't cold-flow (commonly known as creep), and will last as long as poly bushings.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:16 PM
Launching!

All excellent point's from Fox, as usual. Good advice for those looking to replace worn mounts and bushing's. Using rubber bushing's will allow for smooth articulation of those part's. However, you'll still have high deflection (versus poly), as those component's are allowed to move slightly at their mounting points.

Scott.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:37 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the response,
The problem I'm trying to correct is the recent squeeky noise from under the car. I'm not sure if it could be the shocks yet but I only notice it when I have a passenger for now. I have 51k on the '02
The only suspension I've done thusforth is boxed BMR LCAs and don't have lots of money to spend at the moment due to a new baby and house.