Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Caliper differences

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2003, 02:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Caliper differences

They have about 10% more pad area than the F-Body calipers. That will give you a large sweep area which translates to better braking.
Old 01-09-2003, 03:35 PM
On The Tree

IMHO, I don't believe you will notice much if any difference between the two calipers by themselves. The swept area of an LS1 caliper is 65.7 SQ CM. The swept area of a C5 caliper is 72.0 SQ CM. There is a difference between C5 and LS1 rotor sizes.
Old 01-10-2003, 12:24 AM
Staging Lane

Default Caliper differences

What is the difference between the ZO6 calipers and the stock SS pieces? I recently seen a ZO6, and notices that the calipers were also dual-piston units. Can anyone shed some light on this???

Thanks,
quik
Old 01-10-2003, 12:43 AM
On The Tree

Z06 calipers are very similar to the standard LS1 calipers, except the Z06 's are manufactured by PBR in Austrailia. They are pressure cast (much stronger) where-as the LS1 calipers are gravity cast. I believe that all C5 calipers are the same, except for the color. The Z06's have pretty red powder coating (standard is dark grey?) and are approx. $1 cheaper.
Old 01-10-2003, 12:59 AM
Staging Lane

So there is no real difference in performance by upgrading to the ZO6 calipers? Thanks a lot!!!
Old 01-13-2003, 10:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The corvette brakes are pressure cast (not forged, but better than cast) and seem to eliminate "spreading" (under extreme use, the cast f-body calipers have in some cases started to open up or bend outward). The F-body calipers are regular cast aluminum. There would be a posible performance upgrade (if you use the brakes that hard) by switching to the vette calipers. I am looking into this change for my own car as well (autocross and track days). I'd suggest that you contact Scoggin-Dickey Chevrolet (www.sdpc2000.com) and see what they can tell you (and they will likely have a good deal on the calipers). Good luck.

Quick Reply: Caliper differences