Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bent Spindle

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003 | 06:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bent Spindle

For purposes of clarity, when I say spindle I refer to the Horizontal Part that resembles an axle only that is short, where the Hub-rotor assembly attaches to. When I say Knuckle, I refer to the vertical part where the spindle attaches to and is held in place by both A-Arms. O.K. my question is:

If my spindle is bent upwards and towards rear, should replace the knuckle also? I have no idea on how to check if the Knuckle has been damaged. It looks thick and strong to me but I am far from beibg an expert. Please submit your opinions. Thanks.
Old 02-20-2003 | 07:39 AM
Coal Mining Director

Default Re: Bent Spindle

If you're sure that the spindle is bent, then you'll have to order a new one...so if you're going to do the work yourself I would take the spindle and the knuckle off and take it to the local GM dealer to order the spindle. While you're there show them the knuckle to determine if it's ok....sounds like it is but without seeing the knuckle it's only a guess.
Old 02-20-2003 | 07:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

What happened? How did the damage happen.
Onfire I think pretty much covered it, but I would also look into the A arms as well. Make sure they are not bent as well.
Old 02-20-2003 | 08:01 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

the diffrance between a spindle and knuckle is a spindle takes a rotor that has bearings like a pickup truck or old camaro.a knuckle doe's the same job but you have to bolt on a hub and bearing like your car or press the hub and bearing into the knuckle and the drive axle holds it together.with suspenion damage knuckles are the number one part to bend.they look strong but they are weak hub and bearings are also a weak link in suspenion damage hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Bent Spindle