Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Help with power steering problem.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2003, 03:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help with power steering problem.

I'm having a weird problem with my power steering. I was on the road the other day and it just stopped working all of a sudden...belt is ok and I dont see any leaks. It looked a little low on fluid so I topped it off and let the car cool down. Started the car up and the power steering worked fine untill the car warmed up and I was driving for a bit. This happens every time now when the car is cool and has been sitting for awhile it works fine when it first starts up and then it slowly gets worse and worse till it's completely gone again. Any ideas to check out.

Thanks,
Will
Old 04-03-2003, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Help with power steering problem.

Are you lowered and how much? Lowered cars make the pump work overtime. Check the seals first. A freind of mine bought 2 pumps and a new rack and pion, spent well over $1000 and it was just a bad seal in the lines. Had the same problem you have at first but them got way worst as oil sprayed all over the engine!
Old 04-03-2003, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I really can't say what's wrong but here's a few ideas, if you're running smaller pullies that can have an effect on the pump. If you think you need a new pump you might want to try Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak first, this stuff works great ( it can take 50/100 miles before you see any results ).

Al
Old 04-03-2003, 10:41 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by MacGyver:
<strong> I'm having a weird problem with my power steering. I was on the road the other day and it just stopped working all of a sudden...belt is ok and I dont see any leaks. It looked a little low on fluid so I topped it off and let the car cool down. Started the car up and the power steering worked fine untill the car warmed up and I was driving for a bit. This happens every time now when the car is cool and has been sitting for awhile it works fine when it first starts up and then it slowly gets worse and worse till it's completely gone again. Any ideas to check out.

Thanks,
Will </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well, for starters, our reservoirs leaks sh*t all over the place. I'm always wiping the outside of mine down to keep the residue from migrating.I'll notice that sometimes the steering will geat a tad stiff if I'm at a stop and turning, such as getting into a tight narrow parking space. You might want to flush and change out your steering fluid completely. Check all your lines, and connections.

Quick Reply: Help with power steering problem.