Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

I need some help guys...

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006 | 03:16 PM
On The Tree

Default I need some help guys...

I posted this in the general maintenance and got no answers...hopefully some of you in here will chime in.

Cliffs: Jacked the car up last week...ever since I have a rattle that appears only at idle coming from the passenger rear...sounds like something rattling against thin metal...after about a week of this I have now also developed a high pitched squeak coming from that area when that side hits a bump.

I have an adj. pan rod, weld in sfcs and sportlines and weld in rel. brackets.

I just jacked the car up, took that wheel off and checked if all the control arm bolts and panhard bolts are tight and they are. Spring seems to be in the correct position.

To me, that only leaves the shock. Do you guys think that shock could have loosened up or bent or something just by jacking the car up? What the hell could this be? It now literally sounds like something is going to fall off my car driving down the road.

If you guys do think it is the shock, please explain to me how to get to the top of it...I took that rear speaker panel off, looked around for a minute...no clue how to get to it.

In short, the car is jacked up in the garage, I'm pretty pissed right now and I'd really appreciate it if someone could take a guess on this.

Thanks.
Old 08-12-2006 | 03:44 PM
TECH Regular

to get to the top shock bolt,fold down the rear seat and look for perforations in the carpet,and pull back a little "ear" of carpet to expose the nut/shock stud,piece of cake.(no need to remove the speaker covers) Also check the tin heat shield above the exhaust pipe going over the axle. And are you sure the lca bolts are really snug,my left side likes to loosen just enough to induce a squeak over speed bumps/low speed stuff. Check for damage from jacking up the car,if you got subframe cons,use them for a jacking point
Old 08-12-2006 | 05:11 PM
On The Tree

Thanks bullet.

I checked the plate over the exhaust, it was ok, as was the lca bolts.

I'll go check on the rear shock now...and yes, I always stick the jack under the sfcs (after doing the drive on a 2x4 routine...damn sportlines )
Old 08-12-2006 | 05:50 PM
On The Tree

Just checked the bolt on top of the shock...it's tight.

I'm totally lost now.

What the hell could be making this noise?

Somebody please take a guess...I'm all out.
Old 08-12-2006 | 06:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

If it makes the noise at idle while the car isnt moving, then I doubt its suspension related. The issue over bumps sounds like something completly different.
Old 08-12-2006 | 06:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DONAIMIAN
If it makes the noise at idle while the car isnt moving, then I doubt its suspension related. The issue over bumps sounds like something completly different.
That's what is throwing me off.

It started with the rattle at idle. Now I still have the rattle plus a squeak over bumps.

Quick Reply: I need some help guys...