Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

anyone using Eibach swaybars?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 08:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default anyone using Eibach swaybars?

Im curious as to why they are soo cheap and no one seems to be using them even though they are meant for lowered vehicles and the front has the same thickness /Diameter as the strano bars.?
Old 08-13-2006, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hmm, I wasn't even aware they offered bars for f-bodies.

I'd like to hear some on them as well.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:40 PM
Launching!

Eibach swaybars are 35mm/25mm, solid (according to Eibach's website). From one site (probably not a sponsor), they are $310 + shipping.

Suspension Technique swaybars are 35mm/25mm, solid. $298 + shipping from Stranoparts.

Strano swaybars are 35mm/22mm, hollow (less weight!!!). $379 + shipping.

They are not "sooo cheap" when compared to Suspension Techniques swaybars, which have the same diameter and are also solid bars like the Eibach.

Strano bars are hollow, so they weigh something like ~20lbs total (can't recall the exact weight). If you've ever picked up a SuspTech. front swaybar, you'd realize why weight is so important.

Last edited by TXAgZ28; 08-13-2006 at 12:46 PM.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:37 PM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man thats some crazy prices for 2 metal rods. I remember paying something like half that for both 1LE bars from SLP. Did the prices of metal go up that much in the past few years?
Old 08-13-2006, 02:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Dom
Man thats some crazy prices for 2 metal rods. I remember paying something like half that for both 1LE bars from SLP. Did the prices of metal go up that much in the past few years?
Well, it's hard to compare buying factory swaybars from someone connected to GM (who probably had a stockpile of them laying in a corner of a warehouse), to buying aftermarket swaybars from a company. Not to mention 1LE swaybars are smaller, weaker, and come with factory endlinks/brackets with rubber bushings, whereas the aftermarket bars come with poly bushings and stronger endlinks.

There's a lot of truth in "you get what you pay for" when choosing suspension components.
Old 08-13-2006, 03:31 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TXAgZ28
Eibach swaybars are 35mm/25mm, solid (according to Eibach's website). From one site (probably not a sponsor), they are $310 + shipping.

Suspension Technique swaybars are 35mm/25mm, solid. $298 + shipping from Stranoparts.

Strano swaybars are 35mm/22mm, hollow (less weight!!!). $379 + shipping.

They are not "sooo cheap" when compared to Suspension Techniques swaybars, which have the same diameter and are also solid bars like the Eibach.

Strano bars are hollow, so they weigh something like ~20lbs total (can't recall the exact weight). If you've ever picked up a SuspTech. front swaybar, you'd realize why weight is so important.

In addition 25mm rear is too big. 22mm is the sweet spot combined with a 35-36.5 mm front.
Old 08-13-2006, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd like to see if UMI is going to come out with something like this. Probably won't be for a while since they just got done with that K-member. Something to think about.
Old 08-13-2006, 04:02 PM
TECH Resident

i have them, i think im one of the very few i got them from discount tire direct when i bought my springs. i like them alot but i have no referance to the strano bar so i couldent tell you how they compare.one hell of a difference over stock though.
Old 08-13-2006, 04:26 PM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TXAgZ28
Well, it's hard to compare buying factory swaybars from someone connected to GM (who probably had a stockpile of them laying in a corner of a warehouse), to buying aftermarket swaybars from a company. Not to mention 1LE swaybars are smaller, weaker, and come with factory endlinks/brackets with rubber bushings, whereas the aftermarket bars come with poly bushings and stronger endlinks.

There's a lot of truth in "you get what you pay for" when choosing suspension components.
I used poly bushings/endlinks with them. Weaker? I don't think so. I'd trust GM's manufacturing over some guy who has some other guy make them. GM goes through extensive testing of their parts. They adhere to some kind of standard. Smaller doesn't mean worse either. The 1LE bar size was just right for me. I had no need for anything bigger. Car stays flat. Hard to stay flatter when it's already flat.
Old 08-13-2006, 05:13 PM
TECH Resident

I would agree with the fact that Unless your swaybars are buckling under stress, There would be minimal differences from bar to bar. Looking at the thickness of these compared to other aftermarket bars seems to be the medium. The thickness of the front seems to be what people are looking for, as far as the rear, you could always sell it and buy a 1le rear swaybar for 100$ and still be around 380$ + an extra aftermarket swaybar.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

I was pretty sure the Eibach bars were hollow, but maybe I was wrong.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DONAIMIAN
I was pretty sure the Eibach bars were hollow, but maybe I was wrong.
well the ends of the bars look like hollow bar and the ends a pinched shut but when i hit them they dont sound hollow.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Question

I went with Suspension Tech. about 5 years ago--mine are not solid though..they are hollow..and plant my rear just fine with the other stuff i put on....
Old 08-13-2006, 10:00 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Dom
I used poly bushings/endlinks with them. Weaker? I don't think so. I'd trust GM's manufacturing over some guy who has some other guy make them. GM goes through extensive testing of their parts. They adhere to some kind of standard. Smaller doesn't mean worse either. The 1LE bar size was just right for me. I had no need for anything bigger. Car stays flat. Hard to stay flatter when it's already flat.
The "some other guy" that I have make my bars.... is Addco. Do some research and you'll find out that their and my own companies aren't exactly fly-by-night.

And if you think GM doesn't subcontract parts, you are sadly mistaken.

Your car does not stay flat, I can assure you of that. A quick look at pics of cars cornering with stiffer springs and bars will show you that. And you might be (and I'm happy you are) good with the bar you picked. However, this is a classic case of not knowing how the other half lives. I'm sure most anyone here who has moved up from a 32 to a 35mm bar in front for example will tell you it was a huge improvement.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 08-13-2006, 10:02 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
I went with Suspension Tech. about 5 years ago--mine are not solid though..they are hollow..and plant my rear just fine with the other stuff i put on....
ST doesn't make hollow bars, and neve have for the f-body. I even talked to them about making mine at one point (hollow being a big deal to me) and they would not even consider it.

Not sure why you think they are hollow, but ST's are not. Might you have Hotchkis bars? They are the ONLY other company other than myself who makes hollow bars for both front and rear.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:10 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I do want to add one thing......

Eibach has conflicting information. Some new listings show a 35mm/25mm kit, both hollow. Then again, when you download their catalog off the Eibach site, they still show 32/21 (both solid).

I sell Eibach, but I don't generally sell the bars because there have been better choices. However, I won't say that the Eibach's might not now be hollow at both ends, they could be. That does not change the issue that I believe a 25mm rear bar is too large for a handling application most times. We do offer a 25mm hollow rear bar as well if someone wants one. It too comes complete with all new hardware and links. Which leads me to the next thing. Often (and again, they may have changed this recently), but Eibach bars often don't come with new endlinks and bushings. I know a set I used a while back on a Mazda had only the new frame mount bushings. I had to source new endlinks and bushings separately. Might have something to do with the price.