Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

New to the WS6

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 11:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the WS6

I've had a 2004 GTO for almost two years on a lease. I just recently bought a 2002 WS6 and I must say I love the WS6 a little more. It doesn't have the fit and finish of the GTO but there is something to be said about the exterior looks and stance of the WS6. I also think it sounds a little better. I did a few mods right of the bat, TB Bypass, SLP CAI, customized whisper lid, K&N filter, CAGS eliminator. I believe I need new rear shocks and I am looking for suggestions as to which shocks to go with......KYB, Monroe, Edelbrock....should I spend the extra for the adjustables? I'm looking at shocks from $25 each to $90 each. I want a tight ride, just want to optimize my cash. Any suggestions would be great....Thanks.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Welcome to the site!!
Search is your friend(when it works).

Last edited by 87gnx; 08-31-2006 at 12:04 PM.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:05 PM

welcome and congrats on the car it is a much nicer ride then the gto
Old 08-31-2006, 12:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suggest posting in the suspension section.
Old 08-31-2006, 01:28 PM
Teching In

I agree, the WS6 is a more fun. I believe the handling is a little tighter on the GTO but overall more fun in the WS6. The GTO seems to have a tighter turn radius as well. I've been driving both since June or July. I love the T-Tops in the WS6, definitely adds to the cool factor. And it has that stout, menacing look to it that the GTO kinda lacks. I love the GTO for the simplicity and almost sleeper look. I have noticed the WS6 seems to hook up better and spin the tires less(when I'm NOT trying), I'm guessing this has to do with the wider tires on the WS6(275's compared to 245's). I also believe the gearing from 1st to 2nd is taller in the WS6 than the GTO. I like the fact that a lot of the mods for both of these cars are the same or very similar. I won't miss the wheel hop that I got from the GTO's IRS, that never sounds good. Well thats all I can think of for now. Oh yeah, I will be relocating to Phoenix, AZ (Glendale area) at the end of September. I look forward to driving the car year round without worrying about snow...ugh!
Old 08-31-2006, 09:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 121 Likes on 93 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

In your price range, Bilstein HDs are the only things you should consider. They may or may not be optimal, depending on which springs you have, but they will be an improvement over stock. Revalved Bilsteins or Koni SAs would be ideal but out of your budget. Don't cheap out on shocks, you WILL regret it.

Here's a better question: Why do you think you need new shocks? What shocks do you have now and how many miles on the car? Are your shocks leaking?

IF your car has Bilsteins or Konis from SLP (possible) you may be wasting your cash. Do NOT put the brands you mentioned on your car for any reason, BAD move.

Quick Reply: New to the WS6