Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How to compress brake piston?? HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006 | 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default How to compress brake piston?? HELP!!!

While painting my rotors I wasn't thinking and hit the brakes in the car while the calipers were disconnected... now the pistons are expanded and I can't get them to compress?? tryed using a c-clamp and tryed bleeding it a little and none of this worked???? help??
Old 09-02-2006 | 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

its the front passenger and rear passenger that i need to do this to... by the way
Old 09-02-2006 | 08:40 PM
TECH Veteran

use a C clamp, or get a piston retractor from napa/vatozone.

put a used brak pad between the C clamp and the piston.
Old 09-02-2006 | 10:04 PM
TECH Regular

uh... you hit your brakes when you had your caliper off correct?.. and now they wont go in even with a c clamp///

did the pistion come all the way out like is the boot all the way out... this happened once to my friends car and the pistion came too far out and got cocked in the caliper and wouldnt go back in.. took a lot of persuasion

but like @nthony said use a brake pad and a c-clamp... good luck man.. and dont compress one without making sure the other cant move anymore.. you might just make a bigger problem
Old 09-02-2006 | 10:52 PM
TECH Veteran

ive witnessed the same problem with the piston almost or partially coming out, and the guy had to open the caliper's bleeder screw and push it back in because it was too over extended. make sure the seal is still good while youre at it.
Old 09-03-2006 | 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

yep you guys are right, the piston came all the way out and seized there... I bent on a clamp trying to get it back down after bleeding it too, I just bought a re-done caliper at autozone for $40 + core so that worked out pretty good and now I am back on the road!!!

Quick Reply: How to compress brake piston?? HELP!!!