Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 09:03 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Koni ?

OK well Iam almost taken all I can take. I have worked on these front shocks for two days now. I removed the front passenger shock assembly and removed the shock and perch. I then reinserted that on to the new koni sa. Well when I tighten down the perch the rubber boot on the perch goes over the adjustment. Do I need to cut this or what? Thats not the bad part though. On the driver side I took off the orginal shock and compressed the spring and took off the bolt on the perch and tried to take off the perch only to find out that the rubber has siezed onto the shaft. I have no clue on how to remove it now besides buying a new perch and cutting the shaft to get the spring on. Is there any other suggestions? I didnt the koni's would be this hard. Also I hade to grind off the last couple of threads on the perch bolt because I couldnt get the bolt off because of rust.
-Brandon
Old 10-19-2006, 11:16 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

They aren't, they aren't any harder than stock shocks. You aren't telling us the whole story, or at least not clearly.

I'm not sure why you'd change the spring perch, the one on the Koni's is all you need. And your dust boot simply isn't clipped on the to upper hat properly. As for the rusted mount. You get to buy a new one. Even if you get it off the shock by cutting the old shock rod, the rod will still be stuck in the mount. This is why you should use anit-sieze liberally when putting this together, so it doesn't happen again.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 10-19-2006, 11:16 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

I would suggest calling the place you bought them. If they are any good, the should be able to help you out on the phone. I know I can, once I know what I'm dealing with.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 10-19-2006, 12:12 PM
On the tree

When I installed my Konis i got from Sam last month I ahd one that went fine, and one the nut was completely rusted out. I used a dremel and with a cutoff disc cut the top of the saft off right above the nut. Then I took the disc and sectioned the nut until I could "peel" the section off of the shaft. Then I took a rubber mallet and and knocked the upper mount off of the shaft.

Transfered right over to the new setup and works fine. I had several shops say that if it was rusted I was going to have to buy a new mount but with some patience you can get it apart and salvage everything.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same here, just swapped front shocks. Had to make a vertical cut into the rod and nut untill I could get the nut to loosen. Also had one of my mounts stuck to the rod on the old shock. I ended up hitting it with a little heat from a torch to get it off. Obviously that mount is getting replaced.
Old 10-21-2006, 07:26 PM
TECH Regular

Well I finally got the fronts on. YES. I drove it around with just the fronts on and wow what a huge difference. I will install the rears tomorrow, and hopefully a 35 solid front swaybar.
-Brandon

Quick Reply: Koni ?