Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

pro kit problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 05:49 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

If you swapped springs side to side, and it stayed the same, it's NOT THE SPRINGS.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 10-25-2006, 05:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont have them complete swapped yet,should have tomorrow,my search is finally working on here and I have read where other half the same issue,I would if I cut 1/4 spring of the left side if that would level it.Or am being to **** wanting it level.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well, the adjustable PHR did the trick for me tonight. My rear LCA clunk is gone (yaay! that was buggin' the heck out of me), and the pass side sits about 1/8" lower than the drivers' side... without me in the car. I'd assume that if I put 170 lbs in the drivers' seat, well... there's my 1/8".
Old 10-25-2006, 09:20 PM
TECH Regular

I checked my rear end alignment a week or so go.and it's perfect,I am thinkin it's just we being ****.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Revalved Bilsteins, firmer for the lesser travel/higher rate of lowering springs.... or Koni's. Really those are the only shocks that have the damping required without unwanted changes in compression damping (like KYB AGX's), and the quality of both is far superior to lesser shocks as well.
I've got pro-kits on Sam's revalved Bilsteins. This works great, though the rear will definately still mangle the bump stops on bigger hits. You've only got about 1" of travel when lowered, that's the price you pay. My rear does look lower than the front, just looking at the wheel arches, but I've never measured it. I'd be suprised if the springs lose length over time. I'm not a metalurgist, but "springs" means the metal works in the linear elastic range, and therefore no material yeilding (permenant strain) should occur. Even though the spring compressess an inch or two, actual strain on the metal in bending is very small, maybe 10% of the yeild strain at the most.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:22 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Pro-kits are softer and lower than most lowering springs for this car. The way the fenders are cut on the car front and rear can make the rear look lower. The real test is to look at the rocker panel vs. the ground. Also, excess weight in the rear of a car with Pro-kits will have a bigger effect than with some other springs because of the already lower height and softer rate vs. most other springs.

The "sagging" thing is so over-hyped it's not funny. It even causes people to think they have it when they don't. I had a good customer (who will remain nameless since it doesn't matter) tell me his springs were sagging because his tires started rubbing. Thing it, the new tires were the same stated size, but not really the same size. The new ones were actually a bit wider and caused a rub when the old ones cleared. It wasn't the springs, but so many go on about "sagging" it permeates the minds of others.

Do they sit low? Yep. Do they tend to sag and yield over time? Not so much.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:15 AM
On The Tree

Ok everybody I have also got the eibach pro-kit (red springs). bilstein shocks and adjustable lower control arms and panhard bar. When I first got everything installed, the passenger rear was about 1.5" lower than the drivers side, and the tire stuck out about the same amoutn farther on the drivers side. After adjusting the panhard bar the rear of the car now sits almost perfectly level, and the tires stick out the same amount and the car handles extremely well. Problem fixed. BUT....I also hit the bump stop everytime I go through a dip or over a decent size bump. I also have a very loud and annoying rattling noise coming from the passenger rear. I do not know what it is. I have checked everything and nothing is loose, but it sounds like my wheel is about to fall off. I have not tried adjusting the control arms yet. But the passenger side spring is angled forward quite a bit, the drivers side is too but not as bad. Hope I helped someone, and I hope someone can help me with my problems. Thanks
Old 10-27-2006, 10:56 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

If you PHB is way out of adjustment is will screw with the height of the car. Just the way the PHB mount to the body on the right and axle on the left side. The axle side can't move it's on the ground, but the body can move and if you are in a lot of tension of compression a goofy ride height can result.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:28 AM
On The Tree

I have KYB AGX's and Prokit in mine and the back looks lower than the front and since I have 285's on the back they rub a lot, There's any way to fix this ? do I need better shocks or different springs ?

Quick Reply: pro kit problems