Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Roll Cages?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 02:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Roll Cages?

Yesterday I was at my uncles hotrod fab shop. He was putting a rollcage into a 69 camaro prostreet. After seeing that I talked to my uncle he told me he would make me one for no charge. I just have to buy all the tubing which I know I can get very easy for a good price . I know I still have plenty more to my car before Ill need a rollcage but if the offer is there and its free why not jump at it? Was thinking a simple 4 point, or even a 6 point. Should I get it or not? Was thinking of going with a Show look maybe Chrome or something so when the T-tops are off youll be able to notice it. Im still playing with the idea. Your opinions please. I know im sounding like a ricer a roll cage for a high 12 sec car. If anyone has any pictures of there cage please post them, thank you!
Old 11-19-2006, 03:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's free I'd do it. Several years ago I was looking to put a cage in my 240z (v8 conversion) and the shop I called wanted $1000. When I do one in the Camaro I'll weld it myself now I have a MIG and TIG welder.
I'd get the cage in 4130 chromoly for the weight savings but I think show chromed roll cages are very It's just more weight and bling.
Old 11-19-2006, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

do it, but instead of chrome just polish it
Old 11-19-2006, 04:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd get an 8 point cage and make it blend in as much as possible.
Old 11-19-2006, 04:04 PM
10 Second Club

Chrome cages and roll bars arn't NHRA legal either so it would be pointless anyway.

If he's willing to tig weld it for you, deffinatly go with Chromoly. The weight savings is worth the extra money. I would just stick with gloss black or flat black. I think flashy roll bars and cages look kinda stupid.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Decided to go with the 4 point. Getting it tig welded. Black, Goes in next friday, trying to get a good price on some Chromoly tubing, right now cant afford to much so if its more then Im willing to spend i might just go with what I can get. My uncle keeps telling me he is going to bolt a small extinguisher to one of the rear bars. He says that part is not optional for me. LOL guess better safer than sorry.

Old 11-19-2006, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

umm might wanna throw a door bar on the driver side otherwise that will just be added weight and won't be good for anything other than looks if you run 11.49 or quicker in the future
Old 11-19-2006, 09:23 PM
10 Second Club

He will also need a cross bar on the hoop. Infact, without it I would consider the roll bar pure eye candy. It's also real nice to have the extinguisher with in arms reach from the drivers seat.

There are a few pics of mine at the link in my sig. Might give you some ideas.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by GM Muscle
He will also need a cross bar on the hoop. Infact, without it I would consider the roll bar pure eye candy. It's also real nice to have the extinguisher with in arms reach from the drivers seat.

There are a few pics of mine at the link in my sig. Might give you some ideas.
Impressive set up. Bad *** car BTW!

well was hoping i could do without the crossbar, I like to have the seat at angle when im driving and i know a crossbar would restrict that. But i dont want something that wont be affective. I dont know if i even want a rollcage anymore. lol or atleast until its really needed. and when it is ill just get a 10 point. Cant make up my mind.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:20 AM
TECH Veteran

I put a bar in my T/A and kinda regretted it. I'm not gonna put one in the Z until I get thrown out of the track.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:06 AM
TECH Veteran

I agree, go for it and do Chromoly. I did a mild steel 6point (from Wolf) and I can honestly say it was one of the best mods I did to the car (wish I had gone Chromoly). It keeps everything straight, stiff, and as a side note just looks good.

Yes it takes some of the "utility" out of the car but my feeling: "Come on....it's an F-body, this isn't supposed to be an SUV that you can put 20kids and a dog in....." Nobody really ever uses the rear seats anyways, and if you go with the "dropped door bars" it is very easy to just "slide" across the bars and "drop" into the seats.

Take a look at the Wolf cage, print out the pictures, and take those with you as a guide.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:34 PM
9 Second Club

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-racing-tech/611756-roll-cage-my-daily-driver-pics.html
Old 11-24-2006, 12:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

the cage is going in for sure, the cage will be padded getting the crossbar a little lower to fit my seating style and getting door bars as well but of course custom bent to be able to get in and out without having to jump over it. Cant wait, he says he has some Chromoly left from past customers he said he just needed to see if he had enough. If not he said he will use what he has. Total price. nothing! Ill have pictures soon.