Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

UMI c5 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 10:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Location: Fairfax County, VA (You know you're here when you see the bad roads)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs up UMI c5 conversion

Did the UMI c5 conversion saturday and must admit I freakin love it!!!!!! Here is the breakdown. UMI c5 brackets, kore3 c5 caliper kit (best price for generic pbr c5 calipers), goodridge lines(quality built product), brembo blanks all around (uh, had to return one cause it was warped out of the box for those of you who saw my post earlier this week on that issue) and hawk HPS pads, valvoline synth fluid. Also, make sure you buy a shim kit because hawks dont come with it.
The kit install was very easy, the only catch I had was that one bracket hit the castle nut, so I tried the other and it fit fine, go figure. Did the conversion up front and swaped pads and rotors in the rear. The whole project took about 6 hours with several breaks for screwing around on the 4-wheeler with my friends and lots of beer drinking. The directions with the UMI brackets were dead on (thanks Ryan), though it wouldn't hurt to note that the hub may require mild persuation to get it out of the knuckle.
After break in, went on a test drive and and was very impressed. the pedal grabs almost immediately and feels much more firm (get these brake lines!!!). As stock I could half floor the brake pedal for a abrupt stop, but now I half push the pedal and get slammed into my seat belt!
for those who care on the digital bathroom scale front brembos 20lbs ea, rears 16lbs ea, calipers w abutment brackets 9lbs ea(stocks were 8.5 on the same scale), UMI brackets w/ hardware 6lbs ea.
I know its comming so let me admit that YES, I understand the better performance has a lot to do with better pads, better lines and good fluid, but for those of you considering this do not be intimidated! it is very EASY!!!! The only advice i have is to MAKE SURE WHEN YOU HAVE THE OLD CALIPERS OFF, PLUG THE LINES AND MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT LET THE FLUID DRAIN FROM THE MASTER CYLINDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...Questions are welcome!
...Merry Christmas everyone.
-Jesse
Old 01-02-2007, 08:30 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Great to hear Jesse, I am glad you liked everything and I was able to help.

Thanks again
Ryan
Old 01-03-2007, 05:44 PM
11 Second Club

I did mine with the UMI brackets...very nice piece by the way!! however I used 2004 C5 Calipers, Powerstop C5 Rotors, Earl's C5 SS lines and Hawk Pads. I had to clearance both Castle nut's a bit with a file ....but very minor inconvenience. I am very happy overall with my setup as well.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Location: Fairfax County, VA (You know you're here when you see the bad roads)

I had the same issue with the castle nut on one side. I removed the cotter pin from the nut and rotated it like 15 degrees and then the bracket fit.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:00 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by UMD_Jesse
I had the same issue with the castle nut on one side. I removed the cotter pin from the nut and rotated it like 15 degrees and then the bracket fit.
Unfortunately both Castle nut's were were bottomed out so the file was my only option....I took a smidge of material off both and it worked out great.

Quick Reply: UMI c5 conversion