Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rack and Pinion differences.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007 | 09:39 PM
TECH Regular

Default Rack and Pinion differences.

My power steering rack and pinion went out. I have a 2000 Z28 M6.. I ordered one on ebay. It came off of a 2001 SS and the seller claims it will fit 98-02 models so if it doesnt fit I am protected. But will it fit, he advertised it as 2.67 turns lock to lock. I need some help here I hope I ordered the right part.

By the way, if anyone has a power steering pump with under 80k of use on it for an LS1 that they want to sell let me know.

Edit: Did I post this in the wrong forum. I guesse so.
Old 01-24-2007 | 04:07 PM
TECH Regular

Nobody knows. Hmm interesting. While I'm at it, does anyone have any good tips for replacing the rack and pinion.
Old 01-25-2007 | 08:25 PM
TECH Regular

Come on somebody...
Old 01-25-2007 | 09:06 PM
TECH Regular

When you get it compare the angle of the steering shaft connection. If it is an exact match then it will fit. If it was a ls1 v8 i think it will fit. Also make sure there is very little play in the moving parts.

You may have to jack-up the motor to get one of the two rack to frame bolts out. I just cut the bolt off and replaced it with a new one of the same strength and size. If you put the bolt in upside down it will not hit the motor. Check the markings on the head of the bolt and get the right one for safety reasons...Its is a very strong type part....home depot may not have one in the same class.
Old 01-26-2007 | 06:57 PM
On The Tree

I had to do this to my car about a year ago. The problem is, most parts dealers don't know the difference between the LT1 and the LS1 racks, and they are not interchangeable. There is a 2.5 lock to lock rack (that the one I ordered), hopefully its the right one for you. Otherwise, there is really no way to tell without comparing it your stock rack as to whether or not it will fit.

Quick Reply: Rack and Pinion differences.