Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Clunking in the front

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007 | 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Clunking in the front

I kept hearing a clunking sound from the passenger front. With the tire off I noticed the sound appears to be coming from the axle because it does it while I twist the rotor. It occurs in the same point of the rotation. Also, I noticed my pads are touching my rotors and causing a little friction at all times, is this normal or should the rotor be able to spin freely. Are there some bearing behind that cap on the axle. I'm a novice that doesn't mind getting his hands dirty. Chime in.
Old 01-29-2007 | 08:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Someone has to know something.
Old 01-29-2007 | 11:02 PM
Launching!

What you're stating is confusing because there is no axle in the front suspension... I think what you may be referring to is the front hub, which bolts to the steering knuckle with 4-bolts and has a connector on the back for the ABS speed-sensor. If the bearings are bad in the hub, I think the entire unit needs to be replaced (its not servicable, as far as I can remember). I had one go out (ABS sensor failure) while under warranty back in ~1996, and I haven't had a problem since. New from the dealership I think you can get them for ~$200 (#7470587 I think). Also, a slight drag on the disc is normal... With the wheel on it should spin around freely. Hope that helps.
Old 01-31-2007 | 11:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks, I do think what you're saying is right. I priced a new hub at autozone for $113 so I'm replacing it.

Quick Reply: Clunking in the front