Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Cheapest shock to use with a Pro-Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 02:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cheapest shock to use with a Pro-Kit?

I'm looking into getting the Eibach Pro-Kit soon. I'd like for the car to handle better, but also perform well at the dragstrip, and be a comfortable daily-driver (which it is). I chose the pro-kit for the stance, price, and availability. I am working with a high-school budget, and saving for other mods as well, so a set of Konis or re-valved Bilsteins is out of the question for a while (may upgrade later). But for now, will any other shock/strut combo work? I saw on Summit that they suggest the KYB Gas shocks to use with the pro-kit. I've also seen the Monroe Sensa-Tracs for sale on there. Any input on this?
Old 02-06-2007, 02:21 PM
11 Second Club

if you can't afford the konis or revalves, i'd say save up until you can afford them.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:22 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Summit recommends KYB Gas-a-just for Pro-kits. What a joke..... Those are horrible shocks for the stock springs. They suck IMO.

You want to lower the car, that means more spring rate and less shock travel. You can do it incorrectly (stock shocks, cheap *** shocks meant to be cheap replacements, or even nice quality shocks not meant for lowering springs, like Bilstein HD's). Or you have to realize you are changing a big part of the suspension and more spring/less travel means more spring damper, or "shock" is needed. Gotta pay to play if you want to end up with something that works the way it should.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 02-06-2007, 03:32 PM
TECH Addict

The thing is, I'm not going to be putting it on a road course or Auto-X course. Really just looking for something that's a lower stance, but not TOO low, on my DD, and possibly handle a tad better (just as an extra benefit).
Old 02-06-2007, 04:46 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The thing is the car doesn't know the difference between a bump on the road, the drag strip, a race track, or autocross course, does it? Why is it everyone seems to think that you suspension doesn't really matter unless you are racing? I don't know about you, but I tend to like having a car that rides well, doesn't scare the hell out of me and goes where I point it in a nice stable fashion. All of which are aspects of handling.

I also didn't notice you have a LT1, and those springs are much stiffer than LS1 Pro-kits and you can forget about the SLP shocks even being ok.... You need Revalves or Koni's (Revalves are better here since that spring design doesn't allow access to the Koni adjuster. I'd recommend other springs for that reason, but also for the fact that lowering a car doesn't help the launching aspect at all.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 02-06-2007, 06:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
The thing is the car doesn't know the difference between a bump on the road, the drag strip, a race track, or autocross course, does it? Why is it everyone seems to think that you suspension doesn't really matter unless you are racing? I don't know about you, but I tend to like having a car that rides well, doesn't scare the hell out of me and goes where I point it in a nice stable fashion. All of which are aspects of handling.

I also didn't notice you have a LT1, and those springs are much stiffer than LS1 Pro-kits and you can forget about the SLP shocks even being ok.... You need Revalves or Koni's (Revalves are better here since that spring design doesn't allow access to the Koni adjuster. I'd recommend other springs for that reason, but also for the fact that lowering a car doesn't help the launching aspect at all.
Unfortunatly for your bank account Sam is right. You could probably keep it cheap now but it will cost you in the long run by trashing the cheap shocks you put on because they wont handle the new spring rate. Spend more now and save in the long run.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:20 PM
Launching!

i started with just pro kit and stock shocks and i did not notice anything with ride comfort but the handling was little better.
My next step was shocks. I was thinking bilstein hd but i was told that i was basicly wasitng my money. But i bought them anyway and they were awsome, the ride comfort got much better and the handling and stability was much better to, so for the money the shocks were really good. I now that if you would have gotten the konis i´m sure it would be even better but i did not have the money to spend for those.

The pro kit is among the closest in lowering springs that has spring rate close to stock springs.....

My butt tells me that bilstein hd and work very good together with pro kit.
I´m sure there are better solutions but i think they were a very good improvment over stock.

If you want the best you have to pay for it........

Last edited by Doski; 02-07-2007 at 12:26 PM.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:45 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

We are talking about VERY different sets of Pro-kit's here. The original poster has and LT1, not an LS1, and the front springs at times vary by 200 lbs./in. between the two sets.

So let's get the details right please or else we'll just confuse him terribly.

The other point is simple that Doski had stock shocks and HD's only, and certainly the HD's are better. But better doesn't equal right, and Bilstein's own catalog says that HD's aren't suitable for lowered cars. While he has the LS1 Pro-kits and those are about the only lowering spring HD's have even half a chance of dealing with over the short term, they are far from ideal. Hell, as soft as they are we're talking about front rates 25% more than stock and with a good 1" or more of lessened shock travel in which the shock has to do it's damping.

Hd's better than stock? Sure. Right, especially over the long term. No.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:23 PM
TECH Addict

So would the HD Bilsteins or SLPs provide a better ride and performance than the stock style KYBs or Monroes with the LT1 prokit?
Old 02-08-2007, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Preach on Brother!!

Dude...beg, borrow, work overtime, beg some more. Get the cash to do it right. An inadiquate suspension is not only annoying...its dangerous!!

These cars are fast. If you cannot lower it correctly, leave it stock until you can. The "look" will not be worth it if you crash it!

If that doesn't sway you....chicks hate shitty riding cars
Old 02-09-2007, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Out1aw
So would the HD Bilsteins or SLPs provide a better ride and performance than the stock style KYBs or Monroes with the LT1 prokit?
The question is what springs and shocks do I need? I would get a set of konis and do the hose mod and leave the stock springs. if you really have to have springs get a set of sams.

i think if you called SAM he could better explain everthing.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:08 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Of *those* choices.... the SLP's (although the HD front valving is now pretty much the same, but the rear vavling is messed up which is why I still use a different rear shock when I sell HD's..... long story to get into online).

However, that's like saying a size 10 shoe fits your size 12 feet better than a size 9 does. Might be better, far from what it should or could be.

Old 02-09-2007, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have Sportline's on my car with HD Bilstein's and it has to be the worst ride ever. The thing is like a damn tank. Going back to some stock 1LE springs soon for the price and clearence for my headers. ill go back and get a Prokit down the road when I get some 18's and need lowering.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:08 PM
TECH Addict

I appreciate all the help on this Sam, and everyone else. So basically if I don't want to throw $700+ into a set of Koni SA's, then the only other practical thing to do is the revalves?
Old 02-09-2007, 03:40 PM
Launching!

I appreciate all the help on this Sam, and everyone else. So basically if I don't want to throw $700+ into a set of Koni SA's, then the only other practical thing to do is the revalves?
That is the unfortunate (expensive) truth. You will be much happier doing it right the first time though.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:46 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Unless you want some spring dampers (shocks) that match the springs about as well as a pair of sneakers matches a tuxedo. You can do it, might not the best plan.

Old 02-11-2007, 09:26 AM
Staging Lane

Sam, I'm confused on which way to go to make my car RIDE better. I have 19 inch wheels with 275/30's with the ProKit and Bilstein HD's. I'm not a teenager and I can't handle this ride harshness anymore although I do like the stance. Also, I can't hook up at all in first gear and my car is basically stock. Looking back I should have seen this coming...

Do I just scrap everything and start over? Do I get the Koni SA's and change the wheels to an 18 inch, or yikes a 17 inch for bigger sidewall? Cash is not an issue, but I don't want to throw it away either...

Thoughts? Thanks.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:31 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by markl67
Sam, I'm confused on which way to go to make my car RIDE better. I have 19 inch wheels with 275/30's with the ProKit and Bilstein HD's. I'm not a teenager and I can't handle this ride harshness anymore although I do like the stance. Also, I can't hook up at all in first gear and my car is basically stock. Looking back I should have seen this coming...

Do I just scrap everything and start over? Do I get the Koni SA's and change the wheels to an 18 inch, or yikes a 17 inch for bigger sidewall? Cash is not an issue, but I don't want to throw it away either...

Thoughts? Thanks.
wow..
Old 02-11-2007, 11:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by markl67

Thoughts? Thanks.
wow..

You BOTH need to give Sam a call.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:13 PM
Staging Lane

I dropped my car with the pro-kit and had the Monroe's on there for like a week and I'm 19. I got sick of them, returned them and spent about $250 on some KYB fully adjustable (8-ways) AGX's, just in the front and left the stock shocks in the rear, but next im getting KYB's for the rear too. They're great, awesome ride quality when you set them on 0 and they tuck in some corners on 7 and 8, just my .02. Good luck.