Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

will this work???

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default will this work???

hey guys, i have a '01 SS with ~ 68k miles ( all stock suspension) if i were to go with the pro kit or strano springs, and kept the stock shocks would this be ok??? if it would be ok, would buying a set of cheapies from kragen or something just until i can save up for good shocks work ??? if this would be cool, what cheapies would you suggest?? thanks guys, sorry if its vague. ask me for more details and i will supply answers. -Josh
Old 02-14-2007, 01:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dont do it. Save the money until you can get the Strano shocks and springs. Stock shocks are not made to be used with lowering springs. They reduce the travel to much. Im sure Sam as well as others will chime in and tell you the same thing.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:28 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

Shocks are spring dampers, more spring & less travel = more damper needed. You can put on springs with stock shocks, or cheap shocks, but you probably wouldn't like the ride or stability. But that's your call. I'd never do it, the stock shocks and cheap shocks are bad enough with the softer, taller stock springs.

But some folks want the springs anyway until they can swing good shocks. That's your call, I'm not going to say no way to a sale, but I wouldn't recommend it even if it costs me a sale temporarily. If you decide to go for springs first without capable shocks, I only make you promise that when the car rides poorly you don't go screaming on the 'net (or anywhere else) that it's the springs fault, be they my springs or Eibach, or anyone else's. Because you were told up front what to expect.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 02-14-2007, 01:43 PM
TECH Junkie

I did the cheap route and got KYB GasAJust shocks with my Hotchkis springs. At first, the ride was OK, but over time, it kept getting worse and worse. I only had them on my car for about 15K miles before I'd had enough. It got to the point where I was embarassed to have people ride with me because it felt like we were going to get seasick.

Think about it this way: if you spend $150 on cheap shocks, then decide later to get better ones, you're out $150. In my mind, it would have been better to keep my $150 and put that toward Koni SA's or a set of Strano's revalved Bilstein HD's.

Just my $0.02 (from experience).

-Mike
Old 02-14-2007, 02:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks a lot guys, i figured it would be bad.... Sam how much are your revalved shocks??? regular??? are the revalved a lot better? and how long will the shocks last???
Old 02-14-2007, 02:54 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

Revalves are $530/set. HD's, which are what I'm guessing you mean by "regular" are $349, and those are also not meant for lowering springs....... Are Revalves a lot better? IMO, yes because we increase the rebound damping to actually damp the higher spring rate in the shorter travel. That's what shocks do (or are supposed to do), so something not designed for that purpose isn't so good at it.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion

Quick Reply: will this work???