Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Best spring/shock combo

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 01:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best spring/shock combo

I decided to keep my 1998 Camaro (came across some serious cash) and want to get some sweet lowering springs and shocks, i just sold my edlebrock IAS shocks, didnt expect to keep the car, now i regret it... oh well. anyhow. i wanna drop 2 inchs and get a stiff ride for good handling.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

anyone?
Old 02-27-2007, 05:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

What do you mean by BEST? road race,auto X,drag race, street driven? Lots of good info in old posts.

If I was you! Just guessing with no info, I would get Sam strano lowering springs and Koni SA 4/4 shocks! very good setup and the "best" I would I go with. And I would upgrade your front and rear sway bars to sams hollow set too.

I hope this helps.

P.S 2 inches is way too much IHMO and stiff ride does not always equal good handling.

You can have a comfoy ride and great handling its all about the parts working together in your whole supension.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

I 2nd coolformula. I will have Strano Springs soon. The drop will be 1.2".
Old 02-27-2007, 10:25 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by thosewhohatedmecreat
I decided to keep my 1998 Camaro (came across some serious cash) and want to get some sweet lowering springs and shocks, i just sold my edlebrock IAS shocks, didnt expect to keep the car, now i regret it... oh well. anyhow. i wanna drop 2 inchs and get a stiff ride for good handling.
Couple of things here.... 2" is too much drop. And a really stiff ride doesn't necessarily equate to "good" handling.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 02-27-2007, 09:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

well ive seen cars lowered two inches and it looks pretty nice. i wanna go at least 1.5. what do you guys think about ias shocks? they are stif when they need to be, and soft when they need to be. its gonna be a street car, but i wanna handle great ya knw
Old 02-28-2007, 05:46 AM
TECH Resident

lol, u sound like me when i first came to this board. There is alooot of research to be done, trust me. Take your time and ask around. Sam strano is a great person to deal with.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

well... thats why i am asking noone has recommended a thing...
Old 02-28-2007, 07:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Nobody has recommended anything because there are hundreds of threads about this where they already have. Search on IAS shocks to get people's feelings on them. Look at the stickies at the top of this section, especially the thread with pictures of various ride heights. Decide which springs you want based on your criteria (ride height, comfort, etc.), then search for threads on those springs. Learn from other people's successes as well as their mistakes.

In the end, you have to decide what is "good enough" for you. I decided not to heed the advice I was reading in several threads and bought Hotchkis springs and KYB GasAJust shocks. For a while, it was "good enough" for me, but eventually I decided the shocks were the weak link, so I upgraded to Koni SA's. I now have the stance I wanted with the comfort and performance I wanted. However, because I thought KYB shocks would be "good enough", I'm out the money I spent on them.

Search, read, learn, then ask specific questions from people running a setup you think you might want.

-Mike
Old 02-28-2007, 09:22 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
Nobody has recommended anything because there are hundreds of threads about this where they already have. Search on IAS shocks to get people's feelings on them. Look at the stickies at the top of this section, especially the thread with pictures of various ride heights. Decide which springs you want based on your criteria (ride height, comfort, etc.), then search for threads on those springs. Learn from other people's successes as well as their mistakes.

In the end, you have to decide what is "good enough" for you. I decided not to heed the advice I was reading in several threads and bought Hotchkis springs and KYB GasAJust shocks. For a while, it was "good enough" for me, but eventually I decided the shocks were the weak link, so I upgraded to Koni SA's. I now have the stance I wanted with the comfort and performance I wanted. However, because I thought KYB shocks would be "good enough", I'm out the money I spent on them.

Search, read, learn, then ask specific questions from people running a setup you think you might want.

-Mike
Or to put it less politely, stop expecting answers to be handed to you on a silver platter. Do some leg work (i.e. use the search function), define a specific goal (something other than "I want it to handle real good"), and go from there.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:31 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

We did recommend things. I started by saying 2" is too low. That's a recommendation against it. You want the car to be slammed, or the suspension to work correctly? Your choice.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 02-28-2007, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

This type of question is typical for most newcomers, especially when they're trying to spec out a cam. They want +100hp on a cam-only car, but want it to maintain stock idle, untouched bottom end, and never want to replace valve springs.

Enter the famous TR224. And for those on the suspension side of the house that don't want to do the research on shocks and springs... behold Sam's Koni SAs or Bilstein revalves + Strano springs combo. There's nothing but praise written on his setup. Oh, one thing though. His setup won't drop your car 2"s (thank goodness).
Old 02-28-2007, 09:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok so so far Ive gathered that the Koni SA are the way to go with the shocks.. Also, I did do some searching, came up with very very little, thats why I asked. I am not stupid when it comes to forums, infact, I run a web hosting buisness and manage many a forum, I did my searching. Trust me. Anyhow, you think 2 inches is too low, what about 1.5? And sam, how much can I get some Koni SA shocks from you for? I am very interested. I did read some good things about those. Now as for lowering springs, 1 inch just isnt enough for me, my friends is dropped one inch and it just doesnt look right, maybe because he has funky tires. Anyhow. What do you guys say about 1.5 inches? I dont want that bouncing effect I see on alot of lowered cars, but I heard that is because of chopped springs. Anyone have any suggestions? personal opinions? Sam i heard you know your **** very very well and Ive seen many happy people talkin about you.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok so so far Ive gathered that the Koni SA are the way to go with the shocks.. Also, I did do some searching, came up with very very little, thats why I asked. I am not stupid when it comes to forums, infact, I run a web hosting buisness and manage many a forum, I did my searching. Trust me. Anyhow, you think 2 inches is too low, what about 1.5? And sam, how much can I get some Koni SA shocks from you for? I am very interested. I did read some good things about those. Now as for lowering springs, 1 inch just isnt enough for me, my friends is dropped one inch and it just doesnt look right, maybe because he has funky tires. Anyhow. What do you guys say about 1.5 inches? I dont want that bouncing effect I see on alot of lowered cars, but I heard that is because of chopped springs. Anyone have any suggestions? personal opinions? Sam i heard you know your **** very very well and Ive seen many happy people talkin about you.
It sounds like all you're after is the look of being lowered. The slammed look is nice, but you're going to kick your own *** once you spend a year in the car and find out that you can't live with the ride quality.

If you want the lowered look and decent handling go with the pro-kit and a set of revalved Bilsteins.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

I dont want the lowered look as much as I want the handling. I removed the RS body kit so I have some holes I dont want them to be that visible. I will be in Hawaii soon and we have some POTHOLES. haha. Lowered car isnt so great there, but some of the roads are sexy....
Old 03-04-2007, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dont want the lowered look as much as I want the handling. I removed the RS body kit so I have some holes I dont want them to be that visible. I will be in Hawaii soon and we have some POTHOLES. haha. Lowered car isnt so great there, but some of the roads are sexy....
From what I've seen on pics and been told by Sam himself, his custom springs give a 1.3ish (IIRC) drop which allows enough room for full suspension travel. In other words, no compromises on handling on behalf of slamming your car.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

1.3 SOUNDS GREAT! iam getting my paypal account with over a grand unlocked soon as soon as i get that letter in the mail to verfy the address. dam bastards. anyhow. are lowering springs and new suspension HARD to install? i have alot of experiance with installing stuff on cars but never did suspension. anyone have a guide?
Old 03-05-2007, 08:49 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

www.ls1howto.com and www.installuniversity.com

Quick Reply: Best spring/shock combo