Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bump stop spacers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 12:17 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Bump stop spacers?

I noticed SLP has bump stop spacers on their site and apparently SS's and WS6's come with them to keep their tires from rubbing. I'm running 315/35/17's out back, so would these be a wise investment? My cars a street car 99% of the time and it will see a few track days on the road coarse a year. I haven't driven my car yet since I put on the suspension since I'm waiting to get my heads back. I'm guessing they would help keep my 315's from rubbing and my exhaust from bottoming out, but would they affect the handling in a negative way?
Old 03-11-2007, 12:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone I've talked to that knows more than I do says the stock Z28 tapered bumpstops are better. The only way to keep 315's from rubbing is to center the rearend (adjustable panhard bar), hammer in the inner fender wells, and roll the fender lips. You'll also learn to jack up the rear of the car from the differential every time, so it doesn't hang the rims on the bump stop mounts.

-Mike
Old 03-11-2007, 12:38 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
Everyone I've talked to that knows more than I do says the stock Z28 tapered bumpstops are better. The only way to keep 315's from rubbing is to center the rearend (adjustable panhard bar), hammer in the inner fender wells, and roll the fender lips. You'll also learn to jack up the rear of the car from the differential every time, so it doesn't hang the rims on the bump stop mounts.

-Mike
I already have the adj panhard bar, and I'm running nitto's that run narrow and they haven't rubbed anything yet. I think they will clear the fender lip, but I guess time will tell. I also did the BFH mod as well just to be safe. If the Z28 bumpstops are better I'll just stick with them. I just replaced them a couple months ago since the stock ones were pretty much destroyed.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Z28/V6 stops are long and tapered, the SS/WS6 stops are short and blunt. If you have the long and tapered ones, you've got the ones you want on the car. Take those spacers (the SLP spacers) and toss them as far away from the car as you can (or sell them to someone who doesn't know any better). You don't need them. I ran 315 Hoosiers for autocrossing and ran no SLP spacers, they just limit your already limited suspension travel.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:13 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by trackbird
The Z28/V6 stops are long and tapered, the SS/WS6 stops are short and blunt. If you have the long and tapered ones, you've got the ones you want on the car. Take those spacers (the SLP spacers) and toss them as far away from the car as you can (or sell them to someone who doesn't know any better). You don't need them. I ran 315 Hoosiers for autocrossing and ran no SLP spacers, they just limit your already limited suspension travel.
I didn't buy them I was askin before I even considered it. Thanks for the help though, I have the long tapered ones. My stock ones were pretty much non-existent with 90K miles on my car.
Old 03-11-2007, 04:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Excellent, you should be in good shape then.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah you don't need bumpstop spacers to run 17x11 rears. Many many people have them. You just need to BFH your fender wells

Quick Reply: Bump stop spacers?