Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Do I need a K-member?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 06:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Do I need a K-member?

I hope to be swapping a shiny new Gen-1.5 383 into my '97 Camaro RS (V6) pretty soon. I assume I will need to change all the motor mounts to do so. Will I need to buy a tubular K-member? Or is it just recommended? I'm sure it's the most ideal thing, and I'd like to add one eventually. I'm just wondering if it's actually *required* to do the swap.

I have done some searching on this, and I have read the SBC/BBC conversion sticky (thanks cwaldt!), but that seemed to be geared mostly toward swapping in a BBC which is quite a bit more complicated. Anyway, I just want to ask before spending the money since I'd really prefer to put it into the trans., rear end, and other stuff that's prone to catastrophic failure.

Thanks!
Dave
Old 03-15-2007, 10:31 PM
Staging Lane

If i were you I would add up the cost of buying a Z28 vs. the cost of replacing pretty much all of your drivetrain and suspension parts, which you will have to do if you are dropping a 383 in there. I was thinking about doing the same about a year ago and it ended up that a used 99 z would only be a few thousand more than what i could sell my v6 for. Just a thought.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:18 PM
Teching In

Default K-member or no?

Wolf -
I get what you're saying, and thanks for the reply. But, even if I had a totally mint Z28, it still wouldn't be what I want. I'm not just out to have a "nice car" (which a Z28 certainly is of course). In fact, for now at least, looks take a back seat to performance. See I bought this car with a busted V6 just to give me something to toy around with... "toying around" meaning that I want the pleasure of building a wicked street screamer. I could have bought a Z or anything else for that matter, but I would still have to replace pretty much all the same stuff. Plus this - being an RS - was the perfect candidate for what I want to do. I just love the thought of a stock looking RS blowing the doors off some hot-rod Honda Civic at a stoplight.

So anyway, back to my original question -- do I *need* a K-member to do this?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 03-16-2007, 10:00 PM
TECH Junkie

No you don't need a new k member. If you want to swap your k member eventually for the weight savings, I suppose the engine pull would be the ideal time, but its not needed.

Sorry to go off topic but I agree with Wolfgang. Compare it all to the price of a ls1. I never understood why you guys are passionate about beating Honda Civics. If you want, get a z28 and swap the badges I suppose....