Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

checking old shocks

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 10:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default checking old shocks

i bought some used bilsteins for a great deal.before i put them on id like to know if there is some sort of test i could do to make sure they good before installing and finding out i have to re-do everything again.they look to be in great shape,but i know looks are not everything.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:13 PM
TECH Resident

You can take em one at the time and check them by:
Find a good square fence post, or other like surface like a wood beam or plank to lay on the ground.
Push the shock end carefully against it being carefull not to do this at an angle so it kicks out at you.

Feel for tension/resistance when you depress it.
Then once depressed all the way remove the end from the board and see if it returns to its original height in a controlled manner. If it shoots out like a rocket (violently) then the shock is bad. If it doesn't shoot out at all its bad too!!! BTW if you decide to check it like i've stated, don't look at the shock head on when you do this. Look at it from the side, K?
Old 03-17-2007, 07:08 PM
Teching In

sounds kind of like what i did already,i pushed them into the work bench,they came back out steady and slow,so i guess they are good?
Old 03-17-2007, 08:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by one eyed *****
sounds kind of like what i did already,i pushed them into the work bench,they came back out steady and slow,so i guess they are good?
Give 'em a whirrl - put 'em on the car.....
Old 03-18-2007, 09:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Shock condition is tested on a shock dyno...
Old 03-18-2007, 10:07 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
Shock condition is tested on a shock dyno...
I agree. But sometimes they are few and far between and the testing costs money. I live in south alabama (nothing here but red necks, beer, country music, and piney trees) and I'd probably have to go as far as atlanta or birmingham to find a shock dyno (several hundred miles). I gave him a simple solution he can do right where he is. Should be easy to tell if one is bad because its doubtful all four of them are bad. If he gets a different reaction from one or two of them that make him think they are worn out and don't appear to work correctly - then he can opt to find the dyno and test them or just replace any of them that appear to be non- functional.

Just my $.02....

Quick Reply: checking old shocks