Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Lowering trouble

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 01:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lowering trouble

Well I got the eibach pro kit and I started on the front first. I got the driver's side done, but when I got the passenger's side torn down I found that the nut on the top of the strut shaft that holds on the rubber piece is seized on there. I took it to two different shops and they used air wrenches to try and get it off but no luck. It looks like I'm going to have to buy a new strut. Has anyone else had this problem? If theres a better solution please let me know.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:27 PM
Launching!

Also if I do buy a new strut how do you cut the nut off to get the rubber piece that I need, It looks like it would be nearly impossible to cut.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:20 PM
Launching!

anyone?
Old 03-22-2007, 03:04 PM
TECH Regular

it's a bitch.

big hammer and chistle, dremle tool...

Coat the new shaft and nuts in anti-seize or thick grease to prevent rust.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:20 PM
Teching In

i had that same problem when i put in my sportline springs, i just bought new struts, and the piece you are talking about i also replaced, they are expensive, too. about 80 bucks just for one.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:20 PM
Launching!

Should I buy just the two struts for the front, or could I get away with just buying 1 for the side thats messed up. I want to replace them all with something better in the future anyways, but I don't have the funds available right now. Thanks for the replies
Old 03-23-2007, 01:56 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem you described just last weekend. Before you buy a new shock, spray a crap load of WD40 on the nut and then try loosening and tightening it with an impact wrench. Worked for me. It kept sticking on the last few threads but it finally came off. There's also a special socket mechanics use to grip the flat end of the shock shaft, using a box wrench around the nut. You could also try sticking the flat end of the shock shaft in a vise. I know there is very limited room for movement but in this case every little bit counts.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmm just goto junkyard.. i did my shocks/springs off my 96 parts car so my 94 wouldnt have downtime.. but i did have 2 cut one in half (the thin metal piece) took about 3-4 mins with hacksaw
Old 03-31-2007, 08:38 PM
Teching In

same thing happend to me 2....1st i let it soak in wd-40 for about 1 hr then i took my impact gun and blasted that bad boy off....i had to cross thread the nut 2 get it back on
Old 04-01-2007, 08:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Lowering trouble

I would have to agree with what has been stated above. At the shop I co-own, we have lowered several Camaros. It is always the passenger side strut that gives us a problem. We have only had to cut one, which is the one below.

In addition to using penetrating oil or WD-40, we have also used a torch to heat the threads and nut but to no avail.

But when you finally get it off...............the results are worth it. The strut above came off of the car below. The first pic is before we lowered it and the final pic is after we lowered it and added wheels and tires.

***** One final piece of advice...........if you are not going to replace both of your struts soon with something better (i.e., Koni's, etc.) then replace both of them. Remember if you replace just one, you will have one new, strong strut on the passenger side and one old, weak strut on the driver's side which would cause instability if you were to make a quick, violent move such as a quick lane change, fast corner, etc.

Quick Reply: Lowering trouble