Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Torque arm advice on new setup

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 01:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Torque arm advice on new setup

So I just ordered my Moser 12 bolt with 3.73, performance cover and ABS....

I have Longtube headers an ORY and SLP LM

also the car is lowered about 1.5" and scrapes like crazy.

I need advice on a Torque arm, because #1 I need to tuck my exhasut higher and #2 I will be getting TSP true duals soon or any other true dual setup ( if they exist) and I noticed for my application that a torque arm that attatches to the cross member is better, versus one that attatches to the transmission tailshaft. But I also noticed that a torque arm that mounts to the crossmember will not allow me to run an X pipe, at least not from TSP.

So what I am really looking for is a torque arm that isnt too heavy, but I have accepted thatit will still be heavier than stock.. and one that is reasonable for track and roadracing and drag racing. and is mainly a daily driver. I also want to runa d riveshaft loop with it as well, because I plan on using slicks at the dragstrip.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 596 Likes on 473 Posts

I have a Chris Alston tunnel mounted torque arm. You can get the same from Jegs for like $250 in their brand. It will give you more room than any other setup. I'm going to be running TSP TD's with an X pipe pretty soon here myself. Contrary to popular belief, I get NO more noise than I did with my trans mount arm and I don't think there's much of a chance I'll ever tear the bolts out of the floorpan like some people say they will.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I just received my SLP torque arm yesterday. It fits 10 and 12 bolt rear ends and it is currently on sale at SLP.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:18 PM
11 Second Club

Not really sure about SLP products, they have decent quality parts but are overpriced and BS a lot on their items. I bought my LM1 and lifd from SLP, I now regret it, I know I could have gotten cheaper lids and cheaper catbacks than that, that would have worked better.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:25 PM
11 Second Club

there ae so many choices. UMI, BMR, SLP, spohn and perhaps a few others.

I dunno what route to go.

one of the strongest ones, but not too heavy. with a driveshaft loop and preferrably one that mounts to the crossmember, since it stresses the trans tailshaft ( I do have poly trans mount FYI) but still.

a DD that will see road racing a few times a year and Drag racing a few times a month.

probably chromemoly since I want something light and strong? and I will try to avoid poly bushings, but have a rod end bushing for less wheelhop and deflection.
Old 04-22-2007, 04:38 PM
11 Second Club

UMI, BMR, SLP, spohn or what?!

Quick Reply: Torque arm advice on new setup