Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

$5 LT1 ABS Delete

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 01:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 317 Likes on 240 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default $5 LT1 ABS Delete

I looked into it and from what I got, it's good...

What I did was take the NON-ABS Factory Proportioning Block out of a 1990 Camaro that just got hit and came to the Junk Yard, I am going to have to do a little custom work here, but I am running the Brake Lines to that from the LT1 Factory Master Cylinder, and the Factory LT1 Lines going to the Front and Back go to their spots in the block without any modification.
I have to custom do some of the Fittings on the lines from the Master Cylinder to the Block, I got ahold of a Double-Flare, and I am going to do all that tomorrow.

I will take pics when I finish it up..
Old 05-17-2007, 05:14 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just so I'm understanding you correctly, So what you're doing is putting a non-adjustable proportioning valve which is biased for a different car with a completely different braking system and weight distribution and using it for your car and expect it to be correctly biased?

You really need an adjustable proportioning valve to correctly bias your car. What needs to be understood is the fact that when people remove weight, change tires sizes, tire brands, brake pads, calipers rotors etc etc...the bias will need adjusted. This is why an adjustable valve it best suited.

Our basic kit for example is 139.99, includes the adjustable wilwood proportioning valve, ALL fittings that you need and all preformed lines with a correct oem master cyl fittings.

Don't misunderstand me, i'm not knocking your work. I'm giving you a few things to consider which you've seemed to overlook. It great to modify and make new parts for your car...I like to see folks attempt modifications on their own. Self gratification is a good thing. Many times though, if they are doing it to save money, they can end up spending more in time, gas and parts vs. have a pre-fabbed kit as ours.

The above mentioned is food for thought. Have a great day!
Old 05-19-2007, 03:21 AM
11 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

It's all good.. I look into everything you mentioned up there, trust me..
You made a very informative post, exactly what you should of done to get someone to buy your product, you have all your information there with the research.

This is what I came up with with my research..

Comparing the 2 cars..
Both are the same Suspension, 82-02 are all about identical.
Chassis- Heavy front with a light *** in them, both cars are very, very similar..both have Cast-Iron V8's in them as well. I have a little more weight in the front with this Engine, but I have installed some Rear-Suspension components that will put some of that weight back there, especially when I put in my 9".
Brake Systems- Most Early had Disc Front/ Drum Rear. This particular one had 4-way Disc. Mine has 4 way disc, with up-graded front and back Brakes(bigger Rears in the LT1, I have LS1 Front Brakes) compared to the 3rd Gen. Even the base V6 late 3rd Gen cars had the same Brake System as the V8 Cars.

Taking that into consideration, and the fact that I matched the same size lines that the 1990 used on the Brake System, I see it being very close to what I had..
My ABS happened to be dis-abled since I have had the Car, so I'm used to the Conventional Brakes already.

I am just the average guy that likes to sit back and figure all this stuff out, cause anything can be done..and parts are everywhere..
Old 05-19-2007, 10:56 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Respectivly, there really is no comparison between the two different year vehicles.

The master cylinder bore is different, the brakes are different and the body is different...just based on those areas alone, what you considered was not a good choice.

I didn't post this to try to sell you one of our kits, I merely stated that since you went through a ton of effort to do this on your own, it would have been very wise to spend ~55.00 on an adjustable proportioning valve so you can tune your braking.

What you have right now will probably be no better off then what you had with your ABS disabled since the bias of your brakes I can almost guarantee won't be what it should be. In the very remote change it even was correct, change your tires, brake pads or rotors in any configuration would net a change necessary in the valve once again.

The only benefit right now would be that you removed a ton of clutter and quite a bit of weight (I don' know how much weight the other components added, i'm sure there is a net loss though).

Have a great day!
Old 05-19-2007, 11:36 AM
11 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

See what happens..
It's not moving for the next couple of months, so I can't give it a test run.
I think it's was worth a try in my opinion..
Old 05-20-2007, 02:26 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 144 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Here is your other thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/716872-brakes-done.html

Quick Reply: $5 LT1 ABS Delete