Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

handeling ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 03:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default handeling ???

i,m a newbie here but am a little knowlegable with cars, but my question any way is just got a 2000 SS with 45k on it, love it so far, i just rotated and balanced tires wich ar bfg,s not a lot of miles on them plenty thread, but it seems the car sterring is jittery or shakey going over bumps, would that be a suspension issue or a alignment issue(sterring wheel is perfectly straight and drives straight when on the freeway when i let wheel go) and if suspension what would you reccommend (shocks,struts sway bar etc.)

Last edited by speedydog5; 05-24-2007 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you need shocks, but only 45k? Buy some nice good shocks, HD's or revlaves or sa
Old 05-24-2007, 07:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be the wide low-profile tires. See the other thread about these cars wandering. I noticed that my car likes to follow the bumps and ruts in the road a lot more now that I've got 275/40r17s on it. With the 245/50R16s I didn't notice the problem much at all.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if it's like mine, when you go over little "wrinkles" in the road and it feels like the wheels come off the ground completely for a split second, causing a jarring feel when it's coming down and starting to straighten out, then it's definitely the shocks. the stock shocks are not really all that great, so don't just go with stock replacements.....look into some Bilstein HD's, Bilstein Revalves (from Sam Strano), or the best option for the money, some Koni SA's (also from Strano).

one other thing you can do if it seems like it's only in the rear is get a better panhard rod (go adjustable, don't waste money on a solid one)....this will stiffen up the rear end and help to keep it from bouncing over bumps as much, especially when turning.

i am personally buying almost all my suspension mods from UMI Performance (a site sponsor), but there are several others out there as well that will be a big improvement over stock.

a word of warning: don't be surprised if you order from UMI and it takes a while to receive the parts...they are really busy right now (and only getting busier as summer comes closer & closer), but IMO, they are well worth the wait.

Quick Reply: handeling ???