Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Suburban Wandering and Pulling

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2003, 04:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suburban Wandering and Pulling

I have a 97 Suburban. Just purchased used. I have had it aligned and front end checked. Steering box does not appear to be "loose". Truck is pulling right when on right side of highway..and a little left on left side. Truck wanders..and is a son of a gun to keep straight. It just takes concentration to drive. And when I hook up my 22 ft 2000 pound trailer, it only gets worse. any ideas?
Old 05-10-2003, 10:44 AM
wrencher

Default Re: Suburban Wandering and Pulling

2wd or 4wd?? You cant judge the alignment if there is" road crown " i.e. pulls right in right lane etc. Did your alignment shop slot out the upper control arms mounts as part of the alignment? Ball joints have been known to cause a drift/wander problem on these, but 2 or 4wd makes a ton of differance in the diagnostics involved.
Old 05-12-2003, 10:36 PM
Teching In

4 Wheel drive...

Any way I can help my guys figure this out would help a lot..
I am ready to trade it back in. I am that "fed up" with it.
Old 05-13-2003, 08:53 PM
wrencher

This truck got a suspension lift, or aftermarket wheels with deeper than stock backspacing?

Are the wheel bearings in good condition? Have had a rash of idler arms & pitman arms(those are lots of fun! )

This is a 1500 1/2 ton sub right? with c/v axle front end? Like I saib b-4 had ball joint cause this problem ,just went nuts checking everything before finding them!
Old 05-17-2003, 09:34 PM
Teching In

Truck is completly stock...1500 1/2 ton sub

I will have someone look at the ball joints...I do not know what to look for in inspecting them...

Thanks for the help..if you have any more ideas..let me know.
Old 05-19-2003, 12:43 PM

The fact that the truck has the aerodynamics of a lunch box doesn't help either. Have you checked your air pressure in your tires? My Camaro is doing the same thing lately, but not bad. I don't remember it ever doing that.
Old 05-19-2003, 08:51 PM
wrencher

You should check them loaded ,I.E. w/jack under controll arm 2 people & check for loosness. Check them unloaded for loosness. Then use prybar unloaded & see if you can induce play. Any play is unacceptable. Then last remove tire, disconnect tie rod from steering knuckle& use a LB dail gauge & see how much force is required to move the steering knuckle 40# -50# tops if not replace them. If they need replacement be sure to tourque the castle nuts to spec upon reinstallation. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Suburban Wandering and Pulling