Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

suspension stupid.... please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 05:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default suspension stupid.... please help

i have done some reading and searching and haven't really found what im looking for. i noticed the other day i have some pretty nasty cuts on just my back right tire, not the left one, that im sure are from the fender. i'm running 315's right now on smoothie 2's. as far as i know, stock height. i noticed my car doesnt have suspension stops and the fenders are not rolled. so i was wondering if i need those or not and which ones to get. then the nightmare starts here. my car doesnt sit level. the gap between the tires and the fenders on the back left is 3 1/4" the back right is 3 1/2". the front left is 2 3/4" and the front right is 2 3/8". so with a combination of all that, i was guessing i needed new springs or shocks or both, and maybe some of those bump stops. with all that in mind, i race quite a bit on the street but only see the track probably 2 times a year. i figure if i have to buy new springs, i want to lower it. so what do i buy? i also have 275's on the front, 17x10 all the way around. not sure the back spacing, but there is a big lip and they clear fine now. mods are in the sig, i know i need to get an adjustable panhard bar to probably. i am going to the track next weekend. so i could wait tell after that if what i have now will make me faster then lowering the car first. but what about the bump stops? thanks!!!
Old 07-18-2007, 08:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm guessing that you're catching the outer fenders with the tires and that's where your cuts are coming from. Rolling the fenders will go a long way towards fixing your problem. Centering your rear end might help as well, but usually you find that the rear end has to be centered in relation to the control arms and does not wind up centered in the chassis.

Also, off the top of my head (so I could be wrong), the 315/35-17 tires are for wheels no narrower than 11" wide. I don't think they are supposed to be mounted on a 10" wheel. Even if you can make it fit, it's not always safe and that's why I bring it up.

For bumpstops, go get a set of 4th gen V6/Z28 stops. They are yellow or white and will be a tapered triangle in shape. The SS/WS6 stops are charcoal/black and will be flat and blunt. They are harder and upset the chassis more when you hit them. So, don't assume the SS/WS6 got the good stuff, in this case, they didn't. GM was more worried about tire clearance than actual performance with the SS/WS6 bumpstops.

Good luck!
Old 07-19-2007, 12:42 AM
12 Second Club

get the v6 bump stops even if i lower it? or for drag racing to? thanks
Old 07-19-2007, 09:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TA4EVR
get the v6 bump stops even if i lower it? or for drag racing to? thanks
Yes and yes.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:18 PM
12 Second Club

thanks...... what about the springs and shocks?