Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Spohn Torque Arm CLUNKING!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007 | 10:38 PM
TECH Addict

my UMI was clunking and surprisingly it wasn't my tunnel, but rather it was hitting my driveshaft loop thats all
Old 08-04-2007 | 05:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by qwikz28
my UMI was clunking and surprisingly it wasn't my tunnel, but rather it was hitting my driveshaft loop thats all
Yeah I dealt with that problem when I first installed it. There appeared to be a weight on the driveshaft right were the damn loop was.
Old 08-04-2007 | 08:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
FIXED!

I had to bash in that area where the top corner of the bracket was hitting the tunnel.

I was using a prybar, because I'd loaned out my BFH. I accidentally punched a few holes in the body, but I have a 5" OD bullet muffler in tunnel on the other side, so it's jacked up already. I shouldn't have had to do ANY of this, but that's the way it goes.

did you take a pic by chance? I really need to fix this and am going ot be putting the car up in the air to figure out a squeak here in the next week.
Old 08-05-2007 | 02:24 AM
That's what she said...

No I don't have a picture of it. I also discovered (today) that my stud girdle cover on my 12-bolt was hitting my upper panhard rod. I removed that bitch and it doesn't make ANY noise.

After I clearanced the floorboard for the TA bracket, it helped a ton, but still had some clunk under extreme bumps. I think when I set the pinion angle, the rear end rotated into such a way that the cover would hit the upper PHR.

I also installed my Spohn 1" rear swaybar. Car corners like it did when I still had the front swaybar on. I guess the new rear is so big that it compensates. I had heard it would be noisy, but it sounds exactly the same.
Old 08-05-2007 | 08:48 AM
TECH Addict

NI also installed my Spohn 1" rear swaybar. Car corners like it did when I still had the front swaybar on. I guess the new rear is so big that it compensates. I had heard it would be noisy, but it sounds exactly the same.
be careful sir. i drove with no front bar and it was the high speeds and sharp maneuvers that felt really scary.
Old 08-05-2007 | 07:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

No I don't have a picture of it. I also discovered (today) that my stud girdle cover on my 12-bolt was hitting my upper panhard rod. I removed that bitch and it doesn't make ANY noise.
I would not just remove that bar, it's there to support the PHB mount. No point buying a beefed up PHB if you're just going to allow the mount to flex and bend under load. You might notch the upper PHB and weld a bar into the center to reinforce it, but I'd not take it clear off.
Old 08-07-2007 | 07:02 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by trackbird
I would not just remove that bar, it's there to support the PHB mount. No point buying a beefed up PHB if you're just going to allow the mount to flex and bend under load. You might notch the upper PHB and weld a bar into the center to reinforce it, but I'd not take it clear off.
I've seen plenty of people chunk it before, and I corner harder in the Z71 than in the Z28.

My PHR was bought for adjustability (car is lowered). The PHR mount on the body is pretty damn beefy, I did quite a bit of inspection before I yanked the support mount. My car is street cruise/drag strip only. If I take a corner hard enough to yank that off, my tires will get chopped by the fenders first.

I drove the car with no front bar, and the stock rear swaybar, since March with no problems. Now I have the Spohn 1" rear swaybar and it feels like I put the front back on.

The car is about to get a set of Bogarts too, definatly no cornering then.

Quick Reply: Spohn Torque Arm CLUNKING!