Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Spohn Torque Arm CLUNKING!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 10:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my UMI was clunking and surprisingly it wasn't my tunnel, but rather it was hitting my driveshaft loop thats all
Old 08-04-2007, 05:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by qwikz28
my UMI was clunking and surprisingly it wasn't my tunnel, but rather it was hitting my driveshaft loop thats all
Yeah I dealt with that problem when I first installed it. There appeared to be a weight on the driveshaft right were the damn loop was.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
FIXED!

I had to bash in that area where the top corner of the bracket was hitting the tunnel.

I was using a prybar, because I'd loaned out my BFH. I accidentally punched a few holes in the body, but I have a 5" OD bullet muffler in tunnel on the other side, so it's jacked up already. I shouldn't have had to do ANY of this, but that's the way it goes.

did you take a pic by chance? I really need to fix this and am going ot be putting the car up in the air to figure out a squeak here in the next week.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:24 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No I don't have a picture of it. I also discovered (today) that my stud girdle cover on my 12-bolt was hitting my upper panhard rod. I removed that bitch and it doesn't make ANY noise.

After I clearanced the floorboard for the TA bracket, it helped a ton, but still had some clunk under extreme bumps. I think when I set the pinion angle, the rear end rotated into such a way that the cover would hit the upper PHR.

I also installed my Spohn 1" rear swaybar. Car corners like it did when I still had the front swaybar on. I guess the new rear is so big that it compensates. I had heard it would be noisy, but it sounds exactly the same.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NI also installed my Spohn 1" rear swaybar. Car corners like it did when I still had the front swaybar on. I guess the new rear is so big that it compensates. I had heard it would be noisy, but it sounds exactly the same.
be careful sir. i drove with no front bar and it was the high speeds and sharp maneuvers that felt really scary.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No I don't have a picture of it. I also discovered (today) that my stud girdle cover on my 12-bolt was hitting my upper panhard rod. I removed that bitch and it doesn't make ANY noise.
I would not just remove that bar, it's there to support the PHB mount. No point buying a beefed up PHB if you're just going to allow the mount to flex and bend under load. You might notch the upper PHB and weld a bar into the center to reinforce it, but I'd not take it clear off.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:02 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by trackbird
I would not just remove that bar, it's there to support the PHB mount. No point buying a beefed up PHB if you're just going to allow the mount to flex and bend under load. You might notch the upper PHB and weld a bar into the center to reinforce it, but I'd not take it clear off.
I've seen plenty of people chunk it before, and I corner harder in the Z71 than in the Z28.

My PHR was bought for adjustability (car is lowered). The PHR mount on the body is pretty damn beefy, I did quite a bit of inspection before I yanked the support mount. My car is street cruise/drag strip only. If I take a corner hard enough to yank that off, my tires will get chopped by the fenders first.

I drove the car with no front bar, and the stock rear swaybar, since March with no problems. Now I have the Spohn 1" rear swaybar and it feels like I put the front back on.

The car is about to get a set of Bogarts too, definatly no cornering then.

Quick Reply: Spohn Torque Arm CLUNKING!