Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Lowering Spring Compatability Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 04:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Lowering Spring Compatability Question

I bought a set of lowering springs and they stated they would fit 93-02. The front springs on a 93-97 and a 98-02 are different due to weight of the engine correct? I bought these off ebay and I am asking them to refund my money because they misrepresented them. In my auction ending I put that I needed the 98-02 springs and my box says 93-97. Just wanted to be positive they wouldnt work on my car. Thanks guys!
Old 08-17-2007, 09:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know of cases where guys have run LT1 Eibachs on an LS1 car on purpose (due to the different rate). They will fit your car and depending on the springs, they will probably be just fine. However, that's assuming several things.... If there is a 100 lb difference on the front of the car and the springs are 600 in lbs per side (those could be softer), the change will move the front ride height 1/12th of an inch (600 lbs per inch, 100 lbs would be a change of 1/6th inch, but since we have two springs, it's going to take 1,200 lbs to move it one inch, 600 lbs is 1/2", 300 lbs is 1/4", etc. All of this is ignoring that the springs are not exactly vertical, which will change the numbers somewhat as will a softer spring, if the spring rate is half as stiff, the change will be 2 times as much, etc.) Even so, it's not a huge change and you'll probably be fine, assuming the springs work well on an LT1 car and give the ride height you want.

With that said, I'd prefer to buy a spring with a known spring rate, but if you have them and are just interested in looks, I don't think you'll notice the difference between an LT1 and LS1 with those springs.

Just my thoughts.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info man. Exactly what I wanted to know