Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

kinda torn...

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 09:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default kinda torn...

...between a few routes. I just did the heater hose mod (cost 3 bucks, worth every penny and more), love the rear stance of the car... but now the front looks out of place

So I would like to finish the deal and get the front a bit lower. However I'm kind of stuck on which way to go about doing it, and wanted some opinions from others. Little background: Car is mostly street driven, not tracked once, not auto-X'd, etc. Have TSP duals dumped, and a very not low car friendly driveway (have never scraped, all I do is exit at an angle and I'm fine). I had initially thought about Konis and the lower perch in the front, but heard that Konis with stock springs are a waste, and to get the Strano springs to match them. Also heard of doing the revalved bilsteins with the strano springs. I am thinking that if I go with ANY spring, I'm gonna toss the isolators back in. Any suggestions? I care about ride quality primary and stance a very close second, but second nonetheless. Thanks.

-J
Old 10-02-2007, 08:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

who told you koni Sa and stock springs are a waste? i think their are quite a few people with that set up
Old 10-02-2007, 08:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's what I found searching. Not everyone and their mother said that, just the few places I found. I will probably end up getting the Koni SAs first. If I feel as though I wanna go a bit lower (doubtful), I will nab the Strano Springs. The back with the hose mod sits absolutely awesome to me so far, if the front came down the exact same amount, it'd be perfect for me.

-J
Old 10-02-2007, 09:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by lastcall190
It's what I found searching. Not everyone and their mother said that, just the few places I found. I will probably end up getting the Koni SAs first. If I feel as though I wanna go a bit lower (doubtful), I will nab the Strano Springs. The back with the hose mod sits absolutely awesome to me so far, if the front came down the exact same amount, it'd be perfect for me.

-J
Koni's on stock springs are certainly no waste. Im on the stock springs (just ordered strano's springs) and the car with just the shocks was completely transformed, and Im not over exadurating. It rode better (more firm, but absorbed bumps better than stock, isn't jarring and rattling things). And its just not more grip in the turns, its the way it turns. Its way more predictable, the steering and chassis have a much more direct feel, you can confidently toss the car in corners and correct understeer/oversteer with a snap of the wheel. No more snap oversteer, fishtailing, or plowing though the corner. Its pretty crazy that just some good shocks will do this, I didn't believe it.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'd be willing to bet that the people who say the Koni's on stock springs are a waste are the type of people who only think in absolutes. to these people, it's either absolute crap (stock springs + shocks), or absolute performance (Koni's + <insert x-brand springs here>).

some people just don't even consider that Koni's + stock springs is still around 75% - 85% of the performance that Koni's + <x-brand springs> would give you.

bottom line: if you don't think in absolutes, and don't "absolutely" have to have the "absolute best", then Koni's + stock springs can be a very fulfilling upgrade for you.

i just ordered the Koni 4/4's last night, and i am keeping the stock springs (at least for now)....i'm going to be doing the lower perch/heater hose mod for a slight drop to fill in the wheel wells a bit and see how i like it, and if i think i want more of a drop later, i'll get some Strano springs.