Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

grinding sound....

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 12:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default grinding sound....

i put on my UMI poly/rod LCA's with bolt-in LCA relocation brackets a while back, and ever since then whenever i make a right turn while going up a somewhat steep incline, there's a grinding sound (not a squeak or a "clunk") coming from the rear end on the passenger's side. i'm not sure if it does the same thing when making a left turn or not, i never go anywhere that allows me to test that out. /:EDIT:\ the torque arm went in a week before the LCA's/brackets, and the problem was not there.

the PHR was just put in today, so i know it has nothing to do with that. everything else in my sig was there when the grinding sound started happening, but it did not happen when i had only the sway bars in and nothing else.

i got up under the car and looked all over the place, but can't find anything with any grinding damage on it, and everything is still torqued down really tight (i put blue "service removable" loctite on all the jam nuts, on the torque arm bolts going thru the rear end, and on the two bolts on the torque arm that hold the arm to the mounting bracket at the rear)....and looking at the "clean" part of the rod ends on the LCA's, they are not articulating anywhere near enough to be outside their range of articulation (in other words, the edges of the rod ends are not hitting the "sleeves" that are inserted into them). anyone have any idea what may be causing it?

the only thing i can think is maybe the emergency brake cable brackets, since i cut the one side of the brackets off to make the LCA relocation brackets fit....but i couldn't see any evidence of scraping or grinding there, either....also, it does not do it when i take the turn really slow (like anything under 5 MPH), but if i go a bit faster (5+ MPH), it does it.

Last edited by 02Z28LS1; 10-10-2007 at 11:40 AM.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:02 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

A grinding noise could be incorrect pinion angle. Check that out
Old 10-10-2007, 11:18 AM
TECH Addict

i'll check it out when i get a chance, but a question:

why would it have changed just by putting on the LCA's/relocation brackets? the torque arm was installed before the LCA's, and everything was fine....it only started doing it after the LCA's & brackets were put on....and as far as i can tell, it only happens when making right-hand turns. i'll also give it a try with left-hand turns soon and see if it does the same thing.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:34 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
the torque arm also went in at the same time as the LCA's/brackets.
Your first post says the torque arm went in with the relocation brackets and control arms... thats why I mentioned pinion angle.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:36 AM
TECH Addict

sorry, i did say that.....i bought the parts at the same time, that's why i got it mixed up. the LCA's & brackets came in about a week later than the torque arm, so the torque arm was actually installed for about a week before the rest.

sorry for the confusion.....first post has been edited.

anything else you can think of?

Quick Reply: grinding sound....