Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

how to fix my understeer problem???

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default how to fix my understeer problem???

ok so i believe understeer is when you take a corner and the cars front end slips causing the car to not turn as hard as it should. if this is right then this is my problem. maybe my front tires just suck? i have 275/35-18 up front BFG KDW and 315BFG drag radials out back (i know theyre not made for cornering but hey) my car is lowered with G@ supper springs and it looks to me like the *** end sits lower than the front maybe the rear is sagging i dunno. i have stock shocks and swaybars (soon to be changed). i want to know what i should do to fix this problem? maybe it really is just the front tires but they are 275s and ive heard good things about those specific tires. i would rather have an over steer problem as im pretty damn good at handling a tailhappy *** end, but of cours i want balanced cornering
Old 10-15-2007, 04:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have a softer grippier wider tire in the *** end. It's gonna understeer with a stock suspension. Better shocks, bars and springs could help, but you will IMO still have some understeer with that tire setup, but with better overall handling and grip.

A performance front end alignment will maximize the front end bite you do have.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by C Murda
ok so i believe understeer is when you take a corner and the cars front end slips causing the car to not turn as hard as it should. if this is right then this is my problem. maybe my front tires just suck? i have 275/35-18 up front BFG KDW and 315BFG drag radials out back (i know theyre not made for cornering but hey) my car is lowered with G@ supper springs and it looks to me like the *** end sits lower than the front maybe the rear is sagging i dunno. i have stock shocks and swaybars (soon to be changed). i want to know what i should do to fix this problem? maybe it really is just the front tires but they are 275s and ive heard good things about those specific tires. i would rather have an over steer problem as im pretty damn good at handling a tailhappy *** end, but of cours i want balanced cornering
Highlighted the problems. Your biggest problem is the fact you have tires made for strait line grip on the back, and street tires on the front. Next up is the stock shocks, if you want anything to do with handling they really should be the first thing to change. That alone with make a dramatic difference and the car will be much more balanced in corners, you will feel what the car is doing and wonder why GM put DeCarbons on these cars. Then go from there if you want more.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

These cars are made to understeer its view as safer. First you want more balanced car. You need some KONIS. You have some pretty stiff springs there. Also maybe get 4 matching tires.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:59 PM
TECH Junkie

The BFG KDW is a 300 treadwear tire and I'd imagine doesn't balance out very well with the r-comp rear tire never mind the fact that it's wider. That's the biggest cause of understeer.

For daily driveability with my 400 rwhp setup, I feel that a street tire up front and a nitto dr or similar tire is perfect. On my older 300 rwhp setup I would just get a balanced front/rear street tire setup and I'd be fine on the street. You've got a good drag race setup, not a turning setup.

Oversteer will be enhanced with a larger rear swaybar. Understeer can be lessened with more negative front camber. Rear differentials can have an effect on under/oversteer. Fixing the driver can have an effect on lessening understeer as well.

So your the badass drift king?
Old 10-18-2007, 11:21 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i fixed my understeer by accident....i got a 1" swaybar for the rear for the track and now it oversteers
Old 10-18-2007, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Having drag radials in the rear is the worst idea for handling. The DRs are gonna just keep pushing you straight (like theyre supposed to do), and not want you to turn. Or, I suppose you could go with that one route and get a huge rear sway bar.
I dont think DRs should be used any time other than at the strip IMO.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

You don't want a 1inch rear bar and the stock bar, thats not usually what people want. But if its a track only car I guess it will help your 60 foot times.

Quick Reply: how to fix my understeer problem???