Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

need some stopping help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 01:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default need some stopping help!

I went to go get my car a little while ago to enjoy the nice weather that we are having and I couldnt get my car to stop without using both feet on the brake pedal. I have had the same brakes on the car for at least 4 to 5 months with no problems but now its just not working.

It feels like there might be a huge air bubble in the line but I bled them when I did the brake job and had only fluid.

I also have issues after the tires break loose, the TCS light comes on and stays on which means that my traction control disengages by itself.

Any advice?
Old 10-23-2007, 01:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What procedure did you use to bleed the brakes?
Old 10-23-2007, 01:08 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by loyolacub68
What procedure did you use to bleed the brakes?
I initially did the one guy push the pedal and one open and close the bleeder but it felt mushy when I was done so I took it to a brake shop and they used a pump and just bled the system and put new fluid in it. It felt fine with an occassional hint that something wasnt right but nothing like today!
Old 10-23-2007, 01:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When you say you need to use both feet to get it to stop, is that because the pedal is too hard to push down, or it is just mushy and goes all the way to the floor? If the pedal is really hard to push it could be a bad brake booster. If it is mushy and goes to the floor, even after having a shop bleed it for you, it sounds like either you have a leak somewhere or the master cylinder is bad.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:28 PM
TECH Regular

It is almost impossible to push down. There is no mush in it at all!
Old 10-23-2007, 02:44 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

It's not air, you've lost your power assist/booster if the pedal is rock hard. New camshaft? Big? That'll cause you a loss of vacuum and power brakes. Or maybe the booster failed, or had the vacuum line come off, or the check valve has failed and it just can't hold pressure.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-23-2007, 03:12 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
It's not air, you've lost your power assist/booster if the pedal is rock hard. New camshaft? Big? That'll cause you a loss of vacuum and power brakes. Or maybe the booster failed, or had the vacuum line come off, or the check valve has failed and it just can't hold pressure.
Well all of the above suck except for the vacuum line coming off. I dont think it is that as it would idle much higher but I will check that this evening.

Yea the camshaft is big but not real new. It has been in for about 3,000 miles now.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 10-23-2007, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Pull that vacuum line off the booster and it should be sucking quite a bit of air and your engine will start complaining. If its still sucking a lot of air it sounds like the booster crapped out on you. If thats the case and the booster is bad, check to see that the master cylinder is not leaking fluid into the booster. The fluid is corrosive and I went through two boosters because of that problem.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:24 PM
TECH Regular

Well thankfully it was only my vacuum line and it was just unplugged.

Thanks guys

Quick Reply: need some stopping help!