Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Too much play in steering! HELP! Please!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 01:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Too much play in steering! HELP! Please!

I'm in the military and I just got back from a year assignment to Korea. I get back to my beloved TA and the steering is way loose! To try and fix this problem I've had both outer tie rods replaced and an alignment. The play is still there. It NEVER took this much effort to keep my car straight on the road. To give a better description of what I mean by PLAY:
I can move my steering wheel left/right slightly and the wheels don't move in park & driving. I don't even like driving above 65 cause of the excessive play......and that SUX! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:16 PM
TECH Regular

You have the rack and pinion, inner tie-rods (come with reman. racks), rack to frame bolts, lower control arm bushings, lower control arm bushing bolts (Caster-Camber bolts)...all of which could be the problem.

First thing I would check is the Caster-Camber front LCA bolts. Some shops have a habbit of only doing toe adjustment, as that is what most crap cars have these days.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:16 PM
Teching In

First thing I would check is the Caster-Camber front LCA bolts. Some shops have a habbit of only doing toe adjustment, as that is what most crap cars have these days.
toe adjustments? Do you mean when they did my alignment or installed the outer tie rods? Are you saying that I should check these bolts out and tighten them or do they need to be replaced? Sorry to ask so many questions.....I'm atimate(spelling?) about trying to do as much work as I can on my car myself! I'm the only person I can trust these days!!

Thanks!
Old 11-05-2007, 03:21 PM
Launching!

Check your rag joint
Old 11-05-2007, 03:26 PM
Teching In

I read that 98 and above f-bodys don't have rag joints.