LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Suspension & Brakes (https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes-16/)
-   -   Spohn vs. BMR Xtreme torque arm (https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/81571-spohn-vs-bmr-xtreme-torque-arm.html)

Dragaholic 07-01-2003 01:49 AM

Spohn torque arm users inside please.

I was wanting a little feedback on these particular units because the Spohn torque arms are one of the 2 that Im considering. Here are some of the questions that I want to know:
1. How do you like it?
2. If you could do it all over again, would you go with a Spohn unit or a different brand?
3. Whats the fitment on it?
4. Were there any modifications performed whatsoever to run the unit?
5. Whats the clearance like?
6. Please list all the problems that occur with the Spohns if any.
7. Is the bolt in crossmember as good as the one that is welded on to the SFCs as the Xtreme and Trak Pak?
8. Do you think its worth the money?
9. Is spending the extra money for chromoly worth it?
10. How much of a weight difference does it make?

Sorry for all the questions, but I would appreciate any help. Thanks

DERTY 07-02-2003 09:57 AM

Re: Spohn torque arm users inside please.

1. Love it
2. Absolutely
3. Perfect
4. On a 12 bolt you need to bend the tunnel to clear the bracket
5. All other clearances are perfect
6. None
7. I've never had any issues
8. Yes
9. It is heavy, so if the weight reduction is worth the 100 bucks take it. I wish he had moly when I ordered mine.
10. Call Steve up, he'll tell you

11. If you drag race, buy it with both loops. I've broken a driveshaft and a u joint. Both loops have been tested and have saved my ass!!

Dragaholic 07-02-2003 12:12 PM

How does the Spohn crossmember compare to BMR's?

This is the main difference between the 2. I really like both units, but Im having a hard time deciding. From the looks of it, both torque arms look similar, its the crossmember that differs. They both seem to take the tranny stress away by using their own crossmembers, but how do both of them hold up? I know that welded is better than bolted, but how does it come into play in this situation? Where does the Spohn bolt up? Does it require any cutting, drilling, or any other modifications? Does the Trak Pak come with driveshaft safety loops? Whats a better design as far as their mounting locations go? As for the torque arm itself, the Spohn has 3 cross bars making it stronger as opposed to the Trak Pak, it only has one. Im sure the mounting location would break before the torque arm itself, so I need to worry about it rather than the torque arm itself. Personally, I like the design of the Spohn better, but is it going to be as strong as the Trak Pak? Thanks in advance.

MIGHTYMOUSE 07-02-2003 12:26 PM

Re: How does the Spohn crossmember compare to BMR's?

i had only bought bmr stuff and love their products until i needed a tq arm.. and i got the spohn. no cutting/welding and like said you can have a ds loop included with it.

it also comes with a degree finder to custom set the pinion angle.

if there is any part of my car that would make it though a nuclear blast it would definitely be the spohn stuff!

i wish i had gotten a poly front joint instead of the solid swivel, its a bit thumpy on slow shifts.

heres my pics
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...76197203UcoInJ
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...76197258xQTEil
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...76197228wmkVfS

KMStevens 07-02-2003 01:15 PM

1. The best thing i've spent money on so far!
2. definetly without a doubt
3. had to grind a tiny bit on the rearend bolt holes, but other than that perfect
4. other than bolting it on, and the above comment, it fit great
5. havent run into any problems
6. have heard of the older designs breaking, but thats not the case with the new one
7. I like the way the crossmember is bolted to the g-load brace location, ties everything together nicely
8. without a doubt, order it with the dual loops too
9. i have done other weight reduction, so the extra 100 dollars wasnt appealing to me. even the standard one is BEEFY
10. probably a little bit, the crossmember weighs i think 15 lbs, and the arm another 20 lbs maybe? it weighs a lot more than the stock POS piece did i know that (the spohn one fell on my chest when i was bolting it up)

It was either this one or the BMR, my friend owns cincy speed warehouse, got me a GREAT deal on the spohn unit, and their customer service is GREAT. I am going to be buying a torque arm for the 91 z28 i just bought as well...

rodent 07-02-2003 03:23 PM

1. Hated it!
2. Different brand
3. Terrible
4. Had to bend stock y-pipe, had to grind Moser 12 bolt and Spohn TA to fit
5. Not good in the middle, scraped a couple times.
6. Clunking, banging (mostly on M6 owners), could never get the driveshaft angle resolved which resulted in vibration
7. Yes
8. NO
9. If you run 9's or 10's- yes, other wise no.
10. Not too much, ,maybe 50lbs

rodent 07-02-2003 03:35 PM

Re: Spohn vs. BMR Xtreme torque arm

To Daniel G: Which type of Spohn torque arm do you have? (please list part number) Why does it make so much noise? Why wouldnt the others do the same? Do the non-stock location torque arms use bushings? If so, what kind and could you use different ones to deadened the sound? To Bohdi: Do the Spohn torque arms hang low? I plan to drive it more on the street, so Im looking for one that is street friendly. I dont understand why the Madman's torque arms are so expensive. It seems that those are more for the track purposes and seem like a lot of work to get everything mounted in there. From the pics, it looks like everything is welded. Do the kits come with everything? How does a welded crossmember to the sub-frame connectors differ from bolted crossmember to the floorboard? How well does it work mounted under the floor board? Are there any risks running it there? On the dual driveshaft loops on the Spohn unit, are both of the mounted on the torque arm? I only see the pic with 1 driveshaft loop. Sorry for all the questions, but I wanna get as much info as possible. Thanks a bunch!

The part number is #405 without the driveshaft loop, and poly ends. Mounted to a 12 bolt rear end, it was hitting the tunnel of the car. I refuse to grind down on the car for this torque arm...so I grinded off the first two bolt holes on the torque arm so that it wouldn't hit the tunnel of the car. It's noisy evertime the rear end moves...it's just the nature of the torque arm being on a pivot. Not bashing spohn's product(except that it's not 12 bolt friendly without modifying it). Just not recomended if your car is a daily driver.

I had the same problems with my Spohn TA and Moser 12 bolt. It was a bitch just to install it then the noise it makes drove me up the wall. I removed the Spohn and installed a cheap Edelbrock. An A4 will make less noise with the Spohn TA since torque is always applied to it.

Dragaholic 07-06-2003 11:07 PM

Re: How does the Spohn crossmember compare to BMR's?

To me both the Trak Pak and Sponn units look good. The Spohn torque arm itself looks stronger because it has more cross bars on the arm itself. The only thing that really differs is the crossmember. I was wondering what were the advantages and disadvantages of the both and which one is better? I really dont want to weld anthing in, but if its worth it and makes that big of a difference, then I guess I would go with the BMR. Even if the Spohn arm itself is stronger, the crossmember and where the arm meets it, is where I think it would break first. I want to be for sure on this before I go and buy anything because this mod is kinda expensive. Thanks