Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Spohn vs. BMR Xtreme torque arm

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 11:53 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Spohn vs. BMR Xtreme torque arm

Just trying to figure out which one I should get and what differences there are between the two. Im going to need a torque arm that uses a crossmember or one that doesnt mount on the side of the tranny. These are the ones that I have found so far and I would like to get some feedback on the both. I like the Spohn torque part# 405-FRL-4130. Its the chromoly torque arm with the front and rear driveshaft loops. Are 2 DSLs necessary? I havent seen a pic of the one with 2 of them, if you have any, could you please post them? Does the Spohn unit weld to the sub-frames connectors as the BMR Xtreme does, or in a different location? On the "torque arm note", does it really matter or make a difference whether its welded or bolted in? Which is better, the bolt in crossmember or the weld in crossmember to the SFCs? The BMR Xtreme is for cars running below 10.50s, can you still run it on cars that are not running that fast? Is the BMR Xtreme more for the strip purposes? Out of the 2, what would be better on the street, but will still hold up at the track without a doubt? Thanks
Old 06-19-2003, 12:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Spohn vs. BMR Xtreme torque arm

I gotta warn you that the Spohn Torque arm is very noisy. It clunks quite loud and often. And if you mount it to a moser 12 bolt, you'll have to grind down quite a bit.
Old 06-19-2003, 05:21 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

I'd take an LG Motorsports torque arm over both. Lou stands by his products, check em' out over there -->
Rob
Old 06-19-2003, 05:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I plan on the BMR xtreme or Madman's TA. Both have crosmember mounts to remove the stress from the tranny. (the spohn has the floor board mounts- which are fine, but I've heard horror stories of people catching the spohn on something and ripping the floorboard out).
Madman's piece is a little more money, but i feel is of the highest quality. BMR's stuff seems to be hit and miss. I've seen poor fabrication on a couple of pieces by them and have heard of many more.
Old 06-19-2003, 06:41 PM
9 Second Club NA

To Daniel G: Which type of Spohn torque arm do you have? (please list part number) Why does it make so much noise? Why wouldnt the others do the same? Do the non-stock location torque arms use bushings? If so, what kind and could you use different ones to deadened the sound? To Bohdi: Do the Spohn torque arms hang low? I plan to drive it more on the street, so Im looking for one that is street friendly. I dont understand why the Madman's torque arms are so expensive. It seems that those are more for the track purposes and seem like a lot of work to get everything mounted in there. From the pics, it looks like everything is welded. Do the kits come with everything? How does a welded crossmember to the sub-frame connectors differ from bolted crossmember to the floorboard? How well does it work mounted under the floor board? Are there any risks running it there? On the dual driveshaft loops on the Spohn unit, are both of the mounted on the torque arm? I only see the pic with 1 driveshaft loop. Sorry for all the questions, but I wanna get as much info as possible. Thanks a bunch!
Old 06-19-2003, 10:28 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I can't speak for the others, but I have the Spohn Torque arm with the spherical rod ends on a 12 bolt. It fits fine and is quiet. If you don't tighten the rod end down enough it will make a bunch of noise. Regarding the 12 bolt, it does rub on the tunnel. I simply deformed the tunnel with a BFH and the problem was resolved. If you drag race I would highly encourage you to order it with both safety loops. I have both on mine and I've used and tested both of the loops (not at the same time). They held up awesome and saved my *** both times.

Steve Spohn makes some great stuff just like all of our other sponsors. You really can't go wrong with any one of them.
Old 06-19-2003, 11:42 PM
9 Second Club NA

I dont plan to run it frequently at the track, but I do plan to take it there a few times a month. Maybe not even that, but I just want to make sure that I pick a good one thats street friendly but will do fine at track. The things Im worried about is having clearance problems, being able to use it when I do get a 12 bolt in the future, whether its going to be street friendly but hold up at the track, if its going to be safe running it on the floor board (if I go with a Spohn), and if its going to be noisy. About the ends, what part of it has bushings? What all types do they come in? I know that the poly ones on a PHB realy dont have an affect on noise, but LCAs do, so I was wondering how much affect does it have on the torque arm? Thanks
Old 06-20-2003, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I sold my spohn (race version) to get a bmr xtreme
Old 06-20-2003, 05:36 PM

I have the Xtreme and it holds up to 5500 rpm launches on the t-brake no problem, its a nice construction and built well with the cross supports...The pivot is what I would question as I'm not sure why they use it other then stress relief...
Old 06-20-2003, 08:00 PM
9 Second Club NA

Im sure that both the Spohn and BMR Xtreme will both hold up, what Im worried about is whats going to be more street friendly. Whats not going to give me problems whatsoever. (clearance, noise, mounting location,etc.) If Im going to have to modify or relocate anything. I plan to do a conversion from an M6 to a 200R-4 and I want a torque arm that will have no problems using with that tranny. Which is safer and more sturdy, the crossmember thats welded onto the SFCs or the one that bolt up to the floor board? What are the advantages and disadvantages of the both? Thanks
Old 06-22-2003, 01:37 PM
Teching In

To Daniel G: Which type of Spohn torque arm do you have? (please list part number) Why does it make so much noise? Why wouldnt the others do the same? Do the non-stock location torque arms use bushings? If so, what kind and could you use different ones to deadened the sound? To Bohdi: Do the Spohn torque arms hang low? I plan to drive it more on the street, so Im looking for one that is street friendly. I dont understand why the Madman's torque arms are so expensive. It seems that those are more for the track purposes and seem like a lot of work to get everything mounted in there. From the pics, it looks like everything is welded. Do the kits come with everything? How does a welded crossmember to the sub-frame connectors differ from bolted crossmember to the floorboard? How well does it work mounted under the floor board? Are there any risks running it there? On the dual driveshaft loops on the Spohn unit, are both of the mounted on the torque arm? I only see the pic with 1 driveshaft loop. Sorry for all the questions, but I wanna get as much info as possible. Thanks a bunch!
The part number is #405 without the driveshaft loop, and poly ends. Mounted to a 12 bolt rear end, it was hitting the tunnel of the car. I refuse to grind down on the car for this torque arm...so I grinded off the first two bolt holes on the torque arm so that it wouldn't hit the tunnel of the car. It's noisy evertime the rear end moves...it's just the nature of the torque arm being on a pivot. Not bashing spohn's product(except that it's not 12 bolt friendly without modifying it). Just not recomended if your car is a daily driver.
Old 06-23-2003, 11:37 AM
9 Second Club NA

It seems that BMR and Spohn are the only 2 suspension manufacturers besdies Madman, that make torque arms that dont mount on the side of the transmission. (one being mounted on the floor board, the other welded to the SFCs) Im going to have to decide between one of the 2 unless someone points out another that I could consider. Im looking for one thats not going to give me any problems whatsoever. (at the track, on the street, installing or removing, and be an issue with what Im running.) I dont want it to be noisy either, but Im sure all of us have different opinions on noisy. I just dont want it to be so bad that when I drive by someone or pull up someone, people think that there is something wrong with my car. I want it to be strong and do well at the track, but I also want it to be streetable and tolerable. I dont mind a little noise, but not too much. I really dont see the difference between the 2 other than their mounting location for the crossmember. I know that both of them are going to be strong, so I dont think that Im worried about that until someone points out a story about it. Im basically worried about fit, installation, durability, worry/problem free, and streetability. Thanks so much guys
Old 06-24-2003, 01:30 PM
9 Second Club NA

Are there any others out there that I might consider? If not, what torque arm would you go with? Im having a hard time trying to decide. I dont mean to drag this thread out, but Id like to be certain before I drop 4 or 5 hundred dollars in a torque arm. What SFCs does the BMR Xtreme work best with? Whats the advantages and disadvantages of weld in crossmember and bolt in crossmember under the floor board? Im sure both are strong enough to hold up to my set up, but the thing I wanna know is whats going to be most street friendly and have the least problems. Thanks
Old 06-24-2003, 06:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wolfe race craft makes a weld in one (to your subframe connecters). it's just like the bmr xtreme except i think the wolfe crossmember fits the bottom of the car a lot better.

The wolfe is also adjustable (using heim joints) and also adjustable in the front for your instant center.

Mine is being installed right now so im not sure on the nose level with the heim joints.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

It seems that BMR and Spohn are the only 2 suspension manufacturers besdies Madman, that make torque arms that dont mount on the side of the transmission. (one being mounted on the floor board, the other welded to the SFCs
I had a TA made by jegs on my third gen it mounted to the trans tunnel by a huge bracket and about 16 bolts it was a lil bit of a pita to install, and there was more noise then stock. But I never had any problems with it i think it was about 250$ including shipping.

brad
Old 06-25-2003, 01:34 PM
Restricted User

I heard you gave that guy a pretty good deal

I have it and it works well. No complaints here...
Old 06-28-2003, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I heard you gave that guy a pretty good deal

I have it and it works well. No complaints here...
Old 06-30-2003, 10:19 AM
9 Second Club NA

Well...today is the day that I make the purchase for the torque arm, so I need to decide before the end of the day which one Im going with. I know ya'll are probably saying, just get and dont worry about it, but Im on a real tight budget, and I want to make sure that I get the right one? I know that the Xtreme is out of the picture, because my car isnt running faster than 10.50s, so its either a Spohn unit or a BMR Trak Pak. What do you think that I should get? Thanks
Old 06-30-2003, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

if you take the torque arm and have it installed by a good chassis shop, the BMR will fit pretty good.

I saw one on sunday morning that had the crossbar had been bent around to follow the contour of the floorpan and it had good ground clearance. (It also depends on what Y-pipe you have. If you've got FLP longtubes, you'll need a new Y-Pipe to get it to tuck worth a crap. I'm ordering a new crossbar and will be having a new y-pipe made in the near future)
Old 06-30-2003, 01:53 PM
9 Second Club NA

I do have FLPs, can I run the Trak Pak without modifying anything? Where are you ordering your new crossbar from? Whats going to be different about it? What do you think of the Sphon torque arms? How does its crossmember compare to one thats welded onto SFCs? Thanks

Quick Reply: Spohn vs. BMR Xtreme torque arm